Canadian Nuc conversion to National

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jablock is the name of a Polystyrene building product: "50mm thick Jablock Insulating wall bats by Jablite." See here.

Sorry Admin, back to language class. Google is my ONLY friend - how many wish, eh?

I have a Latvian friend I am sure he says Jabloc.

I hope its not a swear word he uses to describe me :laughing-smiley-004

The main point is that top warmth is good for the bees as is bottom ventilation.

Does that remind you of anything?

PH

Sorry for going off topic a little,this thread reminded me of when I go to the bee's in January and we have had a frost.

Its always comforting to see a nice condensation ring on the hive roof with frost around it telling me that the cluster is still alive.

Its just one of those moments in beekeeping that I really enjoy.

Never seen it.

Under Poly they tend to be alive...........

PH

I can see how Popz would really benefit.
I run one WBC in Hampshire and that hive had a 2 week head start over my cedar hives this spring.

How would I really benefit - from what?

Top ventilation was before mesh floor days. Now many have mesh floors there is no need for top ventilation.

Having no hole in the crown board is no real issue unless you use the hole as part of your winter feed method.

This also means the match sticks under the crown board are a little out of date on mesh floors.

W

Actually B. Mobus trialled top insulation for wintering during the solid floor days, then he found that ventilation in the floors made an even better odds for the bees and if you think of how a wild colony lives it makes sense.

PH

Offtopic To Admin:

Jablock is very similar to the word "яблоко - apple" in many Slavic languages.
Lithuanian and Latvian have a bit different word for that but they might have some Russian influence on their language.

Lauri

Well it was within an inch or so of the top to start with, then later I couldn't top it up without drowning the nest.

I thought they would eventually spread the nest out of the feeder onto the frames, but it never happened. They all died after about six weeks or so in the feeder.

I had to melt the wax out of the feeder when I re-commissioned the hive.

I wondered if the omf made them feel cold.

JC.
I have seen wild comb built into a frame feeder but not when only an inch of stores had been comsumed:confused:. bees build comb usually starting with an anchorage point and hanging from it to draw comb downwards . Normally you would get a clue at such an early stage by finding rudimentary comb attached to qx/crown board . the only time I've seen any deviation from this pattern is when a container of cappings has been placed over a crown board for cleaning, this confuses the bees who then attempt to build comb horizontally:).
As regards bees starving because further feed was impossible to give!, should have been avoided by the simple expedient of feeding fondant/ candy.
Lesson to be learned " observe and react in a timely fashion".

John Wilkinson

As regards bees starving because further feed was impossible to give!, should have been avoided by the simple expedient of feeding fondant/ candy.
Lesson to be learned " observe and react in a timely fashion".

John Wilkinson

Sorry John I don't agree with either of your points here. I rather think you are presuming too much.

I don't know whether they starved or not, or simply died of age by failing to raise enough brood.

No other bees in the same apiary starved and there was plenty of forage available. These bees simply failed to perform satisfactorily.

There is no lesson here for timely intervention. Spending time and resource on them was wasteful.

I did observe, - I have reported my findings.

I did react, - I decided they must take their chance. I had better uses for my resources. They failed. They have been replaced. No problem.

JC.

Latest posts

Back