Can wintering turn a colony aggressive?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Pete,
unless, as has been postulated, that the sperm from different drones form peer groups, imagine warfare within her majes' spermathica !!

John

exactly, see this reseach taken recently on bees

http://beekeepingtimes.com/index2.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=289

I discussed this at rothampstead open day last year, each drone sperm is held in seminal fluid mucas that kill the other drones sperm..out right warfare, the drone sperm when it is to be used is only then mixed in the queen smegma which negates the toxic effects of the seminal fluid on other sperm

itermintant drone laying could just be one drone mucas sac of sperm being infertile but other sac being used are fertile...So i agree with Tom, ( our BKA aslo teach it that way as twickenham do)

Last edited:
Last edited:
Well I suppose the teaching at Twickenham may have being a bit out of date and science has moved forward I dont quite know why but I found it all an interesting read and I think I will have to read it all again in time and think of a different conversation to throw in when it goes quiet
Cheers

Latest posts

Back