Can Ivy fail?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is rare for ivy to "fail" as such and would require a long dry period to effect flowering, it is quite common to have bad weather so the bees don't get out onto it, so are unable to store enough to go through winter.

My 14x12 hive was fairly devoid of stores after a hopeless 4 week trip to the heather, so I fed them 4 gallons of syrup which they took down over a fortnight and the hive is now pretty heavy. They are now going crazy for the ivy - is there any chance I may have fed too much if there follows a strong nectar flow from the Ivy?

I estimate that 4 gallons weighed around 16-18kg, any idea how many frames of stores this will equate to?

My 14x12 hive was fairly devoid of stores after a hopeless 4 week trip to the heather, so I fed them 4 gallons of syrup which they took down over a fortnight and the hive is now pretty heavy. They are now going crazy for the ivy - is there any chance I may have fed too much if there follows a strong nectar flow from the Ivy?

I estimate that 4 gallons weighed around 16-18kg, any idea how many frames of stores this will equate to?

This has got to be 6 to 9 frames

I don't really see how you can over feed. If they have nowhere to put it they won't bring it in. Or.......add a super underneath and see if they fill that with ivy!

How exceptional is this year, particularly this late season? I realise I am having outrageous beginner's luck but is this just a good year in contrast to recent bad ones, or one for the ages? just to help me know what to expect.

The ivy has just started here now! Only starting to open but the bees have found it!

Latest posts

Back