Today they were nasty.....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardK

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Ideally 3 to 5.
Last weekend I noticed that one of my hives (populous 10 frames) was lacking in stores so I fed 1.5L of syrup. I did a quick check today to see if I could take a frame of brood to bolster a weaker colony (I could) and what level their stores were at....still extremely low. They were not pleased to see me at all. Any previous visits where they've shown some 'attitude' pale into insignificance. I was stung twice through the suit, with too many stings in the suit to count. The dog got stung too.

I'm assuming this is probably down to lack of stores and consequent defensiveness. Does that sound reasonable? Previously they've been fine so something has changed. They are also getting hassled a bit by Asian Hornets which likely doesn't help.

I still need to pop back out later to properly close up but am washing my suit right now to get rid of those stings before I show my face again. My plan is to stick another 1.5L of syrup in - is that enough for a populous 10 frames? I'm thinking not as the last 1.5L did nothing, so maybe 3L. What do you think? I'd guestimate there isn't 1/2 frame of nectar total in the hive, possibly a tad more pollen. Should I add some pollen sub too?

I didn't enjoy that visit....

All you can hope for is it was a one off. Let us know how it goes.

Last weekend I noticed that one of my hives (populous 10 frames) was lacking in stores so I fed 1.5L of syrup. I did a quick check today to see if I could take a frame of brood to bolster a weaker colony (I could) and what level their stores were at....still extremely low. They were not pleased to see me at all. Any previous visits where they've shown some 'attitude' pale into insignificance. I was stung twice through the suit, with too many stings in the suit to count. The dog got stung too.

I'm assuming this is probably down to lack of stores and consequent defensiveness. Does that sound reasonable? Previously they've been fine so something has changed. They are also getting hassled a bit by Asian Hornets which likely doesn't help.

I still need to pop back out later to properly close up but am washing my suit right now to get rid of those stings before I show my face again. My plan is to stick another 1.5L of syrup in - is that enough for a populous 10 frames? I'm thinking not as the last 1.5L did nothing, so maybe 3L. What do you think? I'd guestimate there isn't 1/2 frame of nectar total in the hive, possibly a tad more pollen. Should I add some pollen sub too?

I didn't enjoy that visit....
“English bee feeders” are a good option, it is surprising that you have so many bees and no stores, how about sealed brood ? have you taken supers off ?

As for being a bit feisty, was rain due ? what smoker fuel are you using ? varroa count ?

“English bee feeders” are a good option, it is surprising that you have so many bees and no stores, how about sealed brood ? have you taken supers off ?

As for being a bit feisty, was rain due ? what smoker fuel are you using ? varroa count ?
There were 7 frames of brood at various stages & 3 stores. 1 stores had zero, a second nectar on one side only (not full) and the third some pollen and nectar, not by any means full though. Brood frames had no stores that I noticed - so likely some, but nothing capped. Supers came off 3 weeks ago - I did wonder about putting one back on just to give space. I'm about to start three doses of OA sublimation spaced 5 days apart but have not done a varoa count so have no idea what the levels are. The hive is from a captured May swarm and was treated then prior to capped brood.

There had been some distant thunder rumblings but as we live near a mountain range that's often the case late in the afternoon. Rain rarely materialises though. It is extremely dry right now and the bigger problem locally is actually fire risk. Temperature was about 30 degrees C. The hive had just come into shade when I inspected it. I went back out at 10pm to properly close up and feed - they were still not exactly happy but were distracted enough by the lamp to leave me reasonably alone. Yesterday was the first time this season that I'd noticed 5 Asian Hornet around the hives (their main focus being this hive and one beside it - the biggest hives). There are 3 NUC's which right now get thankfully very little traffic from the hornets.

Smoker fuel was untreated pine shavings + rolled up brown paper bag.

My plan is to add another 2 litres of feed today (I gave 1.5L last night), and get hold of some pollen substitute Tuesday. And then another 1.5L later in the week assuming they've taken everything else down. They are not normally nasty so I'm putting it down to my mismanagement as a beginner right now.

Get a decent feeder = Miller/Ashforth and half fill it - 4-5 litres - and when that has gone do it again.
My feeder can take up to 7 litres. The block is me as I make 3L at a time. Need to get my ass into gear!

Did you give them a small feed when you took the supers off? Sounds like they've used up any that they had in the brood box and are now quite miffed.

Yikes, Asian Hornets to boot! I suspect their focus on avoiding the former would be high on the list and the last thing they wanted was someone 'attacking' from the top. Do you have anything to distract the Hornets, a Vespa-Catch or bouclier, both made by Veto pharma, I believe? I used the latter last year against wasps and it seemed to take some of the stress out of the girls' situation. Obviously, if you feed them well, they won't have the same urgency to fly out and try to avoid the hornets. Good luck.

Did you give them a small feed when you took the supers off? Sounds like they've used up any that they had in the brood box and are now quite miffed.
No I didn't. They're certainly not happy. Gave them another 2L this morning - they'd taken yesterday evenings 1.5L already. Will give them another 1.5L tomorrow.

I'm learning, even if it's 'painful' at times 🙄!

Yikes, Asian Hornets to boot! I suspect their focus on avoiding the former would be high on the list and the last thing they wanted was someone 'attacking' from the top. Do you have anything to distract the Hornets, a Vespa-Catch or bouclier, both made by Veto pharma, I believe? I used the latter last year against wasps and it seemed to take some of the stress out of the girls' situation. Obviously, if you feed them well, they won't have the same urgency to fly out and try to avoid the hornets. Good luck.
The hornets are making a difference. In the last week the number of visible guard bees has increased exponentially. I plan to make a Asian hornet trap to a design by a Spanish guy on YouTube. It's caught on somewhat in France & is getting very positive feedback. "Piège Fernando" on YouTube If you fancy taking a look.

There were 7 frames of brood at various stages & 3 stores. 1 stores had zero, a second nectar on one side only (not full) and the third some pollen and nectar, not by any means full though. Brood frames had no stores that I noticed - so likely some, but nothing capped. Supers came off 3 weeks ago - I did wonder about putting one back on just to give space. I'm about to start three doses of OA sublimation spaced 5 days apart but have not done a varoa count so have no idea what the levels are. The hive is from a captured May swarm and was treated then prior to capped brood.

There had been some distant thunder rumblings but as we live near a mountain range that's often the case late in the afternoon. Rain rarely materialises though. It is extremely dry right now and the bigger problem locally is actually fire risk. Temperature was about 30 degrees C. The hive had just come into shade when I inspected it. I went back out at 10pm to properly close up and feed - they were still not exactly happy but were distracted enough by the lamp to leave me reasonably alone. Yesterday was the first time this season that I'd noticed 5 Asian Hornet around the hives (their main focus being this hive and one beside it - the biggest hives). There are 3 NUC's which right now get thankfully very little traffic from the hornets.

Smoker fuel was untreated pine shavings + rolled up brown paper bag.

My plan is to add another 2 litres of feed today (I gave 1.5L last night), and get hold of some pollen substitute Tuesday. And then another 1.5L later in the week assuming they've taken everything else down. They are not normally nasty so I'm putting it down to my mismanagement as a beginner right now.

I think space was/is the problem along with the threat of rain, bees often get stroppy in both situations, 2lts of feed is going to be fairly pointless with that size brood unless you intend to do it every day, I would hold off on the treatment and try to settle them down first for the next few weeks. I would have added another brood box when I took the suppers off, I would probably still do that, if they swap broad area for stores you could end up with a small brood for the winter.

I think space was/is the problem along with the threat of rain, bees often get stroppy in both situations, 2lts of feed is going to be fairly pointless with that size brood unless you intend to do it every day, I would hold off on the treatment and try to settle them down first for the next few weeks. I would have added another brood box when I took the suppers off, I would probably still do that, if they swap broad area for stores you could end up with a small brood for the winter.
I gave them 2L yesterday afternoon, all gone this morning. So that's 3.5L in 36 hours. Added another 1.5L this am.

Thanks for your reply - I'll put a super back on for space. If I treat with the super on would I need to up the dose of OA sublimation from 2g to something bigger?

Yesterday whilst around 2m away with a tree between us I had a bee go straight for me and sting me just below the eye. No idea where is came from - heard it, but never saw it. Hence very keen to calm them down!

I gave them 2L yesterday afternoon, all gone this morning. So that's 3.5L in 36 hours. Added another 1.5L this am.

Thanks for your reply - I'll put a super back on for space. If I treat with the super on would I need to up the dose of OA sublimation from 2g to something bigger?

Yesterday whilst around 2m away with a tree between us I had a bee go straight for me and sting me just below the eye. No idea where is came from - heard it, but never saw it. Hence very keen to calm them down!

I have very calm hives at present but I still wouldn't stand 2m away from one with no veil.

Did you mean 20m?

Latest posts

Back