Today they were nasty.....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have very calm hives at present but I still wouldn't stand 2m away from one with no veil.

Did you mean 20m?
Really? 2m is too close? That's the problem with not knowing other bee keepers I don't get to see what is normal. There's a guy around here with 30 hives or so beside a path through the hills. He's there working with no gear, and the odd passer by typically with their dog on a walk. I thought / assumed 2m with no kit was normal?! Right now mind you, there's no way I'd do it!

Really? 2m is too close? That's the problem with not knowing other bee keepers I don't get to see what is normal. There's a guy around here with 30 hives or so beside a path through the hills. He's there working with no gear, and the odd passer by typically with their dog on a walk. I thought / assumed 2m with no kit was normal?! Right now mind you, there's no way I'd do it!

Too close for me anyway. At that distance you are definitely within the zone that a guard bee would view as "potential threat" territory.

Obviously, the degree of risk depends on whether you are standing in a common flightpath, but those can be hard to be precise over.

Too close for me anyway. At that distance you are definitely within the zone that a guard bee would view as "potential threat" territory.

Obviously, the degree of risk depends on whether you are standing in a common flightpath, but those can be hard to be precise over.
I should qualify my 2m a bit...2m behind the hive. I never go in front unless I'm fully kitted up. If there is an obvious flight path behind, I'd also leave well alone. I'm not that brave ;)

I should qualify my 2m a bit...2m behind the hive. I never go in front unless I'm fully kitted up. If there is an obvious flight path behind, I'd also leave well alone. I'm not that brave ;)

That is safer of course. But still, even 2m behind a hive, I wouldn't be shocked to be stung by a guard, or a blundering forager who decided to try a new route.

The bees have got about half of our garden now and so I’m often within 2m of the hives, having a close look to see what’s going in the entrance. As for walking across the flight path, I adopt the ‘crossing a Vietnamese road‘ approach of walking slowly and predictably in the hope of not getting hit. Get the odd one bouncing off me but it hasn’t been a problem, yet.

Really? 2m is too close?

I guess each beekeeper has their own standards, but 2m is definitely not too close as far as I'm concerned! I stand within 2m or less of my hives on an almost daily basis, just watching what they're up to, without any gear on, or any problems. I also regularly lift the roofs to peek through the crown board or insert/remove inspection trays without needing any protective gear. If this started to become an issue on a regular basis, I'd be looking at replacing a queen - but then my hives are currently in a garden, so this is particularly important to me. If your hives were in an out apiary obviously you could tolerate more defensiveness.

Two of my hives are less than 2m to the side of the footpath up our garden to the chickens, and their flight path crosses the path. We go up to let the chickens in/out, collect eggs etc. several times a day. Like StephenT, you get the odd bee that doesn't see you coming, bouncing off your head, but if you walk through slowly (and ideally without messy or curly hair!), they just carry on their way.

Every hive can have its bad day. I can only imagine how much the defensiveness of a colony under attack from hornets might increase. Obviously that's not currently an issue I have here, but there are lots of other factors that can upset a hive: thundery weather; the end of a flow; nuisance wasps; high varroa count; queenlessness etc.

At this point I'd be giving your bees the benefit of the doubt, given a lack of stores and attack by hornets, but if this became 'normal' prolonged behaviour I'd want to do something about it. Whatever you can do to help them battle the hornets will I'm sure be appreciated by the bees.

If there is little or no forage now or to come, then as has been said 1.5L won't touch the sides much and even 2 gallons won't suffice as Autumn stores let alone winter. Winter bees have yet to be raised so they will need stores a plenty.

As a guide Richard 1 kg sugar/600ml water is approx. 2:1 strong strength and to the bees will be approx. 1.2 -1.25kg of sealed stores.
So use the multiples to gauge larger amounts knowing a colony will need approx. 13- 18kg for final stores before winter.

Last edited:
I vaped two colonies in the last 1/2hr no veil required all quite busy foraging as well.

Agree, usually able to sit or stand next to my hives observing with no protective gear although I suit up for inspections. Presumably I must have fairly gentle bees! That being said, I agree with the post above about giving them the benefit of the doubt; the hornet pressure is likely to be a significant factor and actually, if there are hornets about I'd say you want more defensive bees...

If there is little or no forage now or to come, then as has been said 1.5L won't touch the sides much and even 2 gallons won't suffice as Autumn stores let alone winter. Winter bees have yet to be raised so they will need stores a plenty.

As a guide Richard 1 kg sugar/600ml water is approx. 2:1 strong strength and to the bees will be approx. 1.2 -1.25kg of sealed stores.
So use the multiples to gauge larger amounts knowing a colony will need approx. 13- 18kg for final stores before winter.
Thanks for that - very useful info. There's lots of ivy round this way so I'd hope for a decent haul from that when it comes in.

From looking at a couple of local'ish bee keeping YouTube channels I think the bees this way are fairly active right through November into December. Cold nights but warm sunny days .. generally. I see an interesting few months ahead here fumbling my way forward.

I think this just shows that like us all our Bee’s are different and there is no written rule about how close to safely go without a veil on. I can sit on a bench, to the side of my bee hives and watch them all day from around 2 feet away. If I stand two meters away on their flight approach, I’d bank on getting stung around my head if I didn’t have a hat on, even then it’s risky. I can stand behind my hive, elbows on the roof, just peering down at the entrance, again all day long none of my hives bother me. If they didn’t like it I’d just pop a veil on, it wouldn‘t to my way of thinking make them any more defensive, it’s just something they don’t like me doing.

Usual answer ; depends on the bees. I've two hives that peering in through the entrance from 1 metre is no problem but I have had bees where 200 metres was pushing your luck.

Thanks for that - very useful info. There's lots of ivy round this way so I'd hope for a decent haul from that when it comes in.

From looking at a couple of local'ish bee keeping YouTube channels I think the bees this way are fairly active right through November into December. Cold nights but warm sunny days .. generally. I see an interesting few months ahead here fumbling my way forward.

Locality is key, so you know your part of France better then most of us. I also expect some ivy income to bolster stores but cna never 100% rely on it other wise could be in a pickle, I wait until the aroma is noticed around colonies knowing then will at least be topping up. Excess after spring is reused later. In a village location apiary once I see the ivy bees I know it is time.

I gave them 2L yesterday afternoon, all gone this morning. So that's 3.5L in 36 hours. Added another 1.5L this am.

Thanks for your reply - I'll put a super back on for space. If I treat with the super on would I need to up the dose of OA sublimation from 2g to something bigger?

Yesterday whilst around 2m away with a tree between us I had a bee go straight for me and sting me just below the eye. No idea where is came from - heard it, but never saw it. Hence very keen to calm them down!
A lesson learnt = going near to them without at least a veil when they are tetchy is a definite NO-NO!!

Last weekend I noticed that one of my hives (populous 10 frames) was lacking in stores so I fed 1.5L of syrup. I did a quick check today to see if I could take a frame of brood to bolster a weaker colony (I could) and what level their stores were at....still extremely low. They were not pleased to see me at all. Any previous visits where they've shown some 'attitude' pale into insignificance. I was stung twice through the suit, with too many stings in the suit to count. The dog got stung too.

I'm assuming this is probably down to lack of stores and consequent defensiveness. Does that sound reasonable? Previously they've been fine so something has changed. They are also getting hassled a bit by Asian Hornets which likely doesn't help.

I still need to pop back out later to properly close up but am washing my suit right now to get rid of those stings before I show my face again. My plan is to stick another 1.5L of syrup in - is that enough for a populous 10 frames? I'm thinking not as the last 1.5L did nothing, so maybe 3L. What do you think? I'd guestimate there isn't 1/2 frame of nectar total in the hive, possibly a tad more pollen. Should I add some pollen sub too?

I didn't enjoy that visit....
Presume you are not wearing aftershave etc?

See what they're like after a good feeding (fondant s my go-to). Here we have a word (?) Hangry. Bees are like people, much more laid back if feeling full and happy.

Latest posts

Back