can i mix different type bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An alternative might be to let them do the supercedure, wait until the new queen is laying, then shake 3-4 frames of Bucks into a nuc with a frame of BIAS (preferably including eggs) from the colony you want to replicate, along with a stores frame (with plenty of pollen).

Let the bucks do the raising, but make them use material from the other colony to do it with. The fliers will go home, leaving only nurse bees to do the business. Yes, it'll be an "emergency" cell, but if they're well fed in the nuc and kept snug, there's no reason the resulting queen would turn out inferior. Then it's just a matter of mating... again! :)

I rely on more experienced folk to give a view, in case I've missed something silly.

Either way, it sounds like a good gene to encourage.

how can I get them to make swarm cells if they don't want to?

With a Demaree you need two brood boxes - set up your floor, then put in your queen on a frame of brood surrounded by a few frames of drawn foundation in possible (empty, no brood or anything) then foundation. put QX on then a super or even two then the original brood box with all the brood and nurse bees.
Flying bees will settle in the bottom box, the nurse bees with the brood will quickly feel queenless so will start to build QC's - after four days go in to the top BB and remove any capped QC's (these will have been formed with older larvae therefore not as good as ones formed on day old grubs) in seven days you should have capped QC's in there so you can then make up some nucs - at least two frames brood, stores, one QC and bees - you can supplement with a few more frames from the BB with the queen to make nice strong nucs - you may get three or at a stretch four nucs this way. You might also get a bit of honey from the original queen's lot but remember you've sacrificed the hive to brood production so don't expect any.

Back