Can I graft eggs?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
10-20 depending
So I chose a likely donor frame yeterday and they're all still eggs today. I grafted a couple into natural playcups using a fine brush and a smear of nectar as adhesive. What is likely to happen? It seems like it should not work or surely everyone would do it?

Ya don't graft tiny larvae for no reason! Tried, tested and v.young larvae are best. Demonstrated? Proven? Or whatever? Reinventing the wheel again and again simply comes 'round' to the same thing. They have doubtless tried triangular, square and any gon you can think of. They have all eventually come to the conclusion that an infinite number of facets works best for most cases.

I have never tried to graft eggs as I think they are easy to damage. You could try the cell punch method or the Hopkins method with eggs pointing down to resemble queen cells. I have used these methods and they worked for me.

I have never tried to graft eggs as I think they are easy to damage. You could try the cell punch method or the Hopkins method with eggs pointing down to resemble queen cells. I have used these methods and they worked for me.
Aah: easy damage would certainly make sense.

Ya don't graft tiny larvae for no reason! Tried, tested and v.young larvae are best. Demonstrated? Proven? Or whatever? Reinventing the wheel again and again simply comes 'round' to the same thing. They have doubtless tried triangular, square and any gon you can think of. They have all eventually come to the conclusion that an infinite number of facets works best for most cases.

I'm not trying to be clever: I just won't get another chance for a week.

I've read about it but never done it. Some eggs/larvae are eaten by the workers when there is something wrong with them so its best to use very young larvae.

Not tried grafting eggs, my eyesight isn't that good. I had to go away to work/was short of time and transferred eggs laid in a Jentor before and had reasonable results.
S

I have had eggs taken from cell cups ( laid in a Nicot cage) and moved to ordinary cells.

This when setting up a queen wrong system using brood with larvae that had been moved above the qe for five days to ensure bees would draw down queen cells from cell cups and not put effort into rearing emergency queens.

Doing nothing invariably for sure!

Yeghes da

Probably that's the only way.
I can't see any reason why you would want to graft eggs though ?

You may put pieces of egg combs downwards under the rearing bar. Then bees make the Queen cells, if they do not find better cells to rear. When the hive is in emergency stage, they prefer to start from 3 days old larvae. Then you may change the larva in the cell.

Get a new piece of comb from your friend.

Or put the piece of comb into the hive and wait that eggs become to larvae. Then you see, what are alive.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back