Can I add frames to my hive?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5...2 wooden National, 2 poly Nat & 1 poly nuc...bursting at the seams
My hive is currently being treated for varroa...can I add a super of frames for them to pull out? I'm fairly certain the answer is 'no' - but am being harrassed by my betteralf...

Look at it from the bees' point of view.

No space? Righty ho, we'll look for somewhere else to live. Bye.

If they need it, you just have to give them some more space.

Regards, RAB

Monsieur - The treatment is Apivar, which is working well - but states not to use in a supered hive...However there have been so many orientation in the last 48 hours my other half is concerned they will not have enough space (he is my helper).

They could have a super and food to build the wax, but will it be Apivar flavoured and affect the honey later??

I guess (and stand to be corrected by those more knowedgeable) it depends if you want to give them more living space (eg move to a 14x12, or brood and a half if not there already) or start your honey crop. IF the former it doesnt really matter as you will be unlikely to be spinning the brood frames, if the latter then my very uneducated guess would be that you should swap the frames after the treatment has finished as any honey in it may well have a nasty taste. You can then keep the tainted frames removed for feeding later on in the season.

Latest posts

Back