Can dogs develop allergy to stings?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5...2 wooden National, 2 poly Nat & 1 poly nuc...bursting at the seams
As some will know - we have a sprocker puppy. About 4 weeks ago he received his 1st sting to his ear after going too close to drinking bees. He scratched his ear for a few hours...end of story.

Today his ball rolled under a bush, and again he was stung on his ear. Within 45 mins he was in the vets with an extremely swollen muzzle, bright pink lips, white mouth inside and struggling to breathe and extremely sleepy. He received Piriton and steroids and was recovering within 40 minutes. I was so worked up that I forgot to ask if he could be allergic/develop an allergy...Any answers from those in teh know please?

We move in a few weeks and it will affect what we do and how we set the new garden...Ta:calmdown:

No reasons why a dog shouldn't develop an allergy to anything including insect bites stings !
This pup needs keeping away from bees ! The symptoms you describe sound like anaphylaxis to .
Why take the risk?
Vm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Certainly sounds like an allergic reaction... I get mine if I eat chocolate. Treatment sounds like the treatment for an allergic reaction, too.

If it looks like a cow and smells like a cow... it is probably a cow.

Thanks all - today he is fine...but how do I keep him away from bees? He was NOWHERE near our bees - ran into a bush and came out stung! Even if I move my bees away - he can't avoid them - and he is as thick as a post...

May I suggest you investigate the dosage for a dog the weight of yours and invest in an epipen ?
The dosage is regulated by the time the inserted pen is kept pressed to the dogs skin . The pen is designed for use through clothing so shouldn't be a problem injecting into the thigh!
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Within 45 mins he was in the vets with an extremely swollen muzzle, bright pink lips, white mouth inside and struggling to breathe and extremely sleepy. :

Get rid of those bees because they will kill your dog. That is not an allergy, it is anaphylaxis, and 'yes', other animals, like dogs, cats and horses can suffer from this condition. Suggest you need to find an out apiary where your bees could be moved to or perhaps move them to the association apiary until you find one.

In the meantime, watch your dog like a hawk. If one sting can do the above, image what multiple stings can do. Suggest you do some research on the opening times of the local vets and the availability of out of hours/emergency services.

Last edited:
We used to get pinged and stung, including my dog and its not fun. I would keep your pup away and in the meantime requeen the hive, they really are not worth it with a well bred queen. There's plenty to be had and plenty of advice on the forum.
S

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Thanks Stiffy - but as he was not even in my garden when it happened it wasn't my bees...but I like the idea of the epipen Victor...I shall ask our new vet when we move...At least we'll be closer to the vet - rather than a 20 minute drive!!

Thanks Erichalfbee, as soon as we move I will ask - until then a very short lead...and a miserable pup :(

Latest posts

Back