Can anyone identify this?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Looked through open mesh floor today to find the attached inside the hive. Do I need to remove it? Does anyone know what it is?

Attachments

• Picture one.jpg
    Picture one.jpg
    436.2 KB · Views: 199
  • Picture two.jpg
    Picture two.jpg
    382.5 KB · Views: 161
Dead " death's-head hawkmoth".. If left most likelly will be propolised.

Ive had a few this year. one appeared out of the ground next to the base of the hysteria in my garden. Enormous thing as it hadn't expanded its wings. completely harmless.

Within 45 mins it had pumped out its wings and hung from the tree until nightfall.
I read up on them a bit, apparently you can hear them, they can mimic the noise a queen makes so bees dont turf it out.
I also opened up a hove a couple of years ago and found one propolised to the frames late summer ( as Goran says) they love honey and are trying to steal it.

Attachments

• IMG_6587.jpg
    IMG_6587.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6653.jpg
    IMG_6653.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6581.jpg
    IMG_6581.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_6586.jpg
    IMG_6586.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
I raised a couple of those in my childhood. They also can hiss I believe. Amazing as caterpillars.

Bit of a Lepidopterist? Very nice.

Just pure Luck, one of those rare spots, right place, right time!! Probably never see another. I believe their quite rare here. Further south you might nee more. Think their more common to beekeepers further Southern Europe area. Italy Spain!!

Back