Can a swarm be queenless?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andson

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Please bear with the rather complex scenario around this question...

The colony in question was a caste swam form last year which I housed in a super as this was all I had to hand. They settled, thrived and survived winter in two supers. In Spring, I put the supers over a brood box which they drew out.

I had trouble finding the queen and put an excluder between the brood box and supers. Inspections pointed at her still being in the two supers.

However, before I could find her and move her the colony swarmed today (I have collected it and have it safely housed)

My question is this - Can the colony swarm without the queen? Or, in readiness for swarming when the queen is slimmed down, will she be able to fit through the excluder?

Any answers greatly appreciated.

Thanks

My question is this - Can the colony swarm without the queen? Or, in readiness for swarming when the queen is slimmed down, will she be able to fit through the excluder?

Thanks

No, it cannot. If it does, it comes back in 30 minutes.

Queen's thorax cannot become slimmer.

Queen may be so small and looks like a worker, so it is difficult to see.

No, it cannot. If it does, it comes back in 30 minutes.

Queen's thorax cannot become slimmer.

Queen may be so small and looks like a worker, so it is difficult to see.

Yes it can on collection but not on leaving the colony sorry to disagree I had one last year that had been out for 24 hours in the rain I'm guessing she must of been chilled and died requeened them after a few weeks with out any eggs appearing

I had trouble finding the queen and put an excluder between the brood box and supers. Inspections pointed at her still being in the two supers.

I am wondering if the queen excluder was deformed in any way. If so, it might be possible for the queen to get through. Alternatively, are the supers intact/correctly aligned. It might be possible for a queen to get through an ill-fitting/off-centre super or one that hasn't been properly maintained.......clutching at straws here!

Yes it can on collection but not on leaving the colony sorry to disagree I had one last year that had been out for 24 hours in the rain I'm guessing she must of been chilled and died requeened them after a few weeks with out any eggs appearing

Can or cannot, but it is makes no sense that swarm goes without queen. It is doomed to death. Queen may damage itself during swarming journey, but it is another case.
Queen can die during mating flight.

A beekeeper can kill the queen in catching the swarm. And so on.

...lets speak however about normal situation, when we teach beginners.

Latest posts

Back