caging queen cells

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteinwilts

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Lots and lots
Hi Guys

I will be using the Nicot method for rearing queens this year.

Bearing in mind the QC is capped around day 7, should I wait as late as possible to place the cage over the QC? (say, day 14?)

.... alternatively, I might just buy an incubator!

I know little about them and I don't really want to spend a fortune as I may decide not to do it again. Are they the same (or similar) to chicken egg incubators? any special requirements?

any recommendations?

Cheers
Pete

The are time points, where you can least violate or disturb the pupa.

When capped a larva still eates a while the royal milk and then it makes pupa silk.

presumably, while the cell is youngest it is most fragile?

I don't think its so much that the cell itself is fragile, more that its contents are more susceptible to upset early on.
So, as late as possible ... but before any risk of emergence!

.... alternatively, I might just buy an incubator!

I know little about them and I don't really want to spend a fortune as I may decide not to do it again. Are they the same (or similar) to chicken egg incubators? any special requirements?

any recommendations?

Cheers
Pete

I use the large Carricell portable incubator for carrying cells between home and the apiary. I have a Brinsea 380 at home with the automatic humidity control. The probe shows just above 35 because I was messing about with the humidity

Cells need 35degrees and 50% humidity

However, people have converted old refridgerators into incubators with a heat source (light bulb/heating cable) and a pan of water. You don't have as much control as ready made incubators....but they work most times

Attachments

• 20140525_094602.jpg
    20140525_094602.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I don't think its so much that the cell itself is fragile, more that its contents are more susceptible to upset early on.
So, as late as possible ... but before any risk of emergence!

I take them as soon as they're sealed. If you use an insulated portable incubator like the Carricell (see my avatar) they'll be fine.
I've even heard of people making their own portable incubators from chiller boxes, etc

Not a problem caging them soon after sealing and it saves getting loads of brace comb built around them if there's a good flow.

Latest posts

Back