Buying new hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

northumbrian

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi all, newbie here so be gentle...
I have been given 1 National and want to get a second in case of 'emergency' eg signs of swarming. I'm being bitten by the bug and also want another colony. So maybe I want two more hives :cool:
I came here to look for plans in order to make my own, because at the local bka I spoke to a bloke who had bought a flatpack for £220 and I can't afford that. But then I have found several new flatpacked cedar hives on eb*y which look the part, for around £100-£125. I can't source cedar and build one for that - ok, maybe plywood is cheaper...
But I'm nervous. Usually, you get what you pay for... so why are some people paying twice as much for a flatpacked hive, unless the cheap ones are crap?
Whats the wisdom here please? I'd happily pay £120 for a cedar hive, but not if its going to fall apart or something. The cheapest says '54 sold' and all have 100% feedback, so I don't gettit.
Experience/advice/wisdom greatly appreciated.
Thanks for being here.

Have a look at t h o r n e s bees on a budget range about £130 complete with wax and frames.

they are £140 and i bought one a couple of months back,it seems strong enough so i have ordered 2 more.i think if you cost it all out they are probably cheaper than fleabay because it includes so much more ie frames,wax,queen excluder, free p+p and they are cedar :grouphug:

Up your way, a polyhive might be an alternative to try. They are not all equal, so you need to know what you want or what you are getting.

RAB

Hi all, newbie here so be gentle...
I have been given 1 National and want to get a second in case of 'emergency' eg signs of swarming. I'm being bitten by the bug and also want another colony. So maybe I want two more hives :cool:
I came here to look for plans in order to make my own, because at the local bka I spoke to a bloke who had bought a flatpack for £220 and I can't afford that. But then I have found several new flatpacked cedar hives on eb*y which look the part, for around £100-£125. I can't source cedar and build one for that - ok, maybe plywood is cheaper...
But I'm nervous. Usually, you get what you pay for... so why are some people paying twice as much for a flatpacked hive, unless the cheap ones are crap?
Whats the wisdom here please? I'd happily pay £120 for a cedar hive, but not if its going to fall apart or something. The cheapest says '54 sold' and all have 100% feedback, so I don't gettit.
Experience/advice/wisdom greatly appreciated.
Thanks for being here.

PM Hive Maker ;)

Cedar Hive

I agree buy from Th**nes, (why can we not just say the name?)

If you go onto the website and click on bees on a budget you get the complete set up with nails and everything for a very good price £116 plus VAT. Currently a three week wait though.

The other bonus is it is posted for free.

If you keep an eye on the website you can also get bargains in the sales which are usually twice per year.

The quality of the Cedar can differ, but you are not paying for perfects.

Cedar ain't all that. I paid top brass for 4 hives made from supposedly one of the best hive makers in the country and they don't stand being knocked about. Also 1 of the brood boxes split through last winter. My next hives will be from Yorkshire beehives, and I think I'll try some made of Idigbo at £140 for a complete hive with 2 supers.

when I have some spare money I prefer to get my hives from Hivemaker, not much differant to a thornes basic and as I have frames and foundation I dont tend to need that side of the kit from thornes kit. HOWEVER my first hive was a budget from thornes and as everyone says the bees aint choosy! I was dissapointed with a couple of the joins having major knots but with a bit of extra care I managed to slavage them. Then there is the time it takes for buliding but have to admit I am going to be watching the sales this year to see if anything is cheep to build again.

But HM is wonderful stuff.

Caddon hives on Ebay sell great flat pack cedar hives.

They offer a good service.

Agreed but I think they are out of stock at the mo. They were selling some great value seconds for just £75 a few weeks back.

Of course if you can pay a bit extra you will get better quality / looks (a gabled roof always looks better).

I always pick up seconds and sale stock.
Sometimes you get a broken bit or they do not fit correctly.
Then I put my wood worker hat on and find a fix. Having kept the bits.
Look out for knots / splits / and such like.

Enjoy

Thor**s Seconds

Just thought I would drop this suggestion in with regards to knots in the second quality hives.

A local beekeeper friend sorts out the best bits for making his brood boxes up, any not up to scratch are then used to make nuc boxes by cutting and shaping off the bad bits.

I have in the process of doing a similar thing, but used the rougher parts to make up a Brood Box. The brood box is being internally divided into four with four entrances and will be used for Queen Mating.

You do need a few good tools to do this but it could be done with a saw and chisel. (not by me though)

not too hard to find via google

D.Cottrill Bee Supplies.
The Well House, Fosse Way, Moreton Morrell. CV3S 9BX. Tel: 01789 65166

not too hard to find via google

D.Cottrill Bee Supplies.
The Well House, Fosse Way, Moreton Morrell. CV3S 9BX. Tel: 01789 65166

Thanks, it just wouldn't show up anything suitable when I looked. Ah well, it's been one of those days overall!

Latest posts

Back