Busy bees at back of hive?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starbuck99

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just took a quick visual of my hive and there are lots of bees going into/outside the rear entrance to inspection board/OMF!
Any ideas why this is happening, I took the inspection board out and there were lots of bees in there!!
I know the bees can't get into the hive due to the mesh floor.
Thanks for you replies.

Is it one of the cheap hardly fit for purpose Thornes floors that are supplied with drawing pins to pin the mesh to the rear baton. If so then perhas the drawing pin has come loose and there is a gap and a 2nd entrance. I have seen this many times now and a poor design.
If your mesh is secure then sometimes the bees find themselves under mesh floors and think they are in the hive and stay. If this is the case, then remove the bees fit the tray and block off the gap at the rear of the hive a few days should sort it out.
EricA points are also worth considering if you have virgin queens on mating flights and I suppose it is possible to drop a queen during an inspection.

Check for holes, like a bit of torn mesh or loose fixing. Or if your entrance to your hive is too small, your colony big and there's lots of OSR around, they might have worked out that it is easier to pass nectar through the mesh floor rather than try and squeeze through the entrance.

How great is this forum!!
Yes I have got one of those hives and yes it was the mesh pin that had come away creating a small gap.
I have replaced the floor with a screwed secured one!
Thanks everyone for you quick response.

I put one of those hives together recently. I couldn't believe they expected me to secure the floor with a drawing pin. I used a staple gun instead and it's a much better job.

Good call, yes lessons learned! I am very surprised at Thornes!!

Latest posts

Back