Buoyant roadside honey sales since lockdown

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I didn't know that! So I can sell honey in plain jars at my gate with no details or anything on?
They know where you live, so the legislative duty is covered. It does say so in the regs.

Hi .. do you have your honey tested for pestcides? .. we were supicious as to why every year WIIS tests on reported bee losses never found the single most common pestcide in the whole world. The pesticide Bayer just paid out over £8 billion in the USA over, regarding cancer cases. Last winter we lost 31 out of 44 colonies, mostly absconding. We sent off bees to Natural England and they tested positive , for the 3rd year running with fungicide azoxystrobin, but that was dismissed by NE (FERA) and not the cause of the colonly losses (for the 3rd time) .

Tony Juniper and his Natural England didn't think of it ? so we took 7 samples of stores from hives that had died out and paid over a grand to have them tested by the same company that Rowse use.

All 7 samples came back as positive with between 170 and 560 x the legal food limit of glyphosate in them (not quite the concentration to use our honey as a week killer). We recived written confirmation from the HSE that their tests of our honey (food standard) may take a little longer as

FERA had no stadard test for glyphosate.

So it appears that FERA (privately owned) subscribes to the Donald Trump school of transparency .. if you don't test for it you wont find it.
I will happily post the whole sorry story here if people think it will be of use but in the mean time if anybody wants 300kg of glyphosate contaminated honey for free let me know as otherwise we will have to pay to have it disposed of. It looks to us like glyphosate is the #1 suspect of CCD.

Well I didn't know that! So I can sell honey in plain jars at my gate with no details or anything on?
No you cannot as you are not Welsh. You are governed by "The Honey (England) Regulations 2015". Maybe what the Welsh sell as honey is not honey at all!;)

No you cannot as you are not Welsh. You are governed by "The Honey (England) Regulations 2015". Maybe what the Welsh sell as honey is not honey at all!;)
The English honey regulations are the same aas the Welsh ones

Hi .. do you have your honey tested for pestcides? .. we were supicious as to why every year WIIS tests on reported bee losses never found the single most common pestcide in the whole world. The pesticide Bayer just paid out over £8 billion in the USA over, regarding cancer cases. Last winter we lost 31 out of 44 colonies, mostly absconding. We sent off bees to Natural England and they tested positive , for the 3rd year running with fungicide azoxystrobin, but that was dismissed by NE (FERA) and not the cause of the colonly losses (for the 3rd time) .

Tony Juniper and his Natural England didn't think of it ? so we took 7 samples of stores from hives that had died out and paid over a grand to have them tested by the same company that Rowse use.

All 7 samples came back as positive with between 170 and 560 x the legal food limit of glyphosate in them (not quite the concentration to use our honey as a week killer). We recived written confirmation from the HSE that their tests of our honey (food standard) may take a little longer as

So it appears that FERA (privately owned) subscribes to the Donald Trump school of transparency .. if you don't test for it you wont find it.
I will happily post the whole sorry story here if people think it will be of use but in the mean time if anybody wants 300kg of glyphosate contaminated honey for free let me know as otherwise we will have to pay to have it disposed of. It looks to us like glyphosate is the #1 suspect of CCD.
Two dazzling inaccuracies/untruths here which makes me question the whole thing
FERA is a government body, not privately owned.
CCD is a phenomenon only occuring in the USA. no recorded or reported cases in the UK

Well done you. Why don't you contact Rusty, scientificbeekeeping.com he is very interested in CCD and was hypothesing about Armitraz.

This appears to give the meaning of honey and not refer to the labelling other than what the product actually is within the definition of honey

They know where you live, so the legislative duty is covered. It does say so in the regs.
Can you refer me to the paragraph please. I know we have discussed labelling a million times on here but I have never seen anywhere that honey sold from your own premises to a third party does not need a label!
Thanks

Can you refer me to the paragraph please. I know we have discussed labelling a million times on here but I have never seen anywhere that honey sold from your own premises to a third party does not need a label!
Thanks

I put labels on now because they look nice but my very first lot of honey was sold with absolutely nothing on the jars -- only to friends and family that time though and the odd tradsman who did a good job, I did give most of it away though so I don't suppose anyone was complaining. I sell mine now at £6 a pound as I'm no businessman and have a need to be liked ;). I had so much last year that I also offered it at 3 jars for £15 to get rid of it as it was tkaing up too much room. Some (repeat) customers this year have ordered quite a bit so I'm doing the same three for fifteen kick for them. Everyone else pays six quid no matter how many they buy. I know it's cheap and that the local Deli store sells craft honey in fancy jars with a honey dipper for over £11 for a 12oz jar but theirs is a business and the honey kinda gets in the way for me.

Thanks
I think it's in the labelling regulations rather than the honey regulations per se. I would have to go through it all again to find it, it only stuck in my mind after a debate on here a few years ago and I happened to be checking up on stuff when my own lables were being designed.

You lost 31 out of 44 colonies in Oxfordshire last winter?

The English honey regulations are the same aas the Welsh ones
In the Honey (England) Regulations 2015 it states in Part 1 1(2) These Regulations apply to England only
This appears to give the meaning of honey and not refer to the labelling other than what the product actually is within the definition of honey
It is inferred - part four is called additional labelling requirements. It does not apply to Wales, but Trading Standards Labelling applies to England and Wales. See link
Labelling of honey | Business Companion
So you do need a label not all the info required for selling at the gate, but why not look professional hey.

In the Honey (England) Regulations 2015 it states in Part 1 1(2) These Regulations apply to England only

It is inferred - part four is called additional labelling requirements. It does not apply to Wales, but Trading Standards Labelling applies to England and Wales. See link
Labelling of honey | Business Companion
So you do need a label not all the info required for selling at the gate, but why not look professional hey.
I wouldn't not label it. I want people to know who I am so they come back for more. My labels comply completely and occasionally I sell to local stores so I need them . I just couldn't believe that you can sell to anyone from your gate with no labels at all. The implication for additional labelling requirement doesn't really hold water as it may say somewhere else when you do or don't need a label. Therefore if you need one I can understand there may be additional requirements. But if you don't need one that would not apply. Would still love to see where it says you don't need a label!

And
In the Honey (Wales) Regulations 2015 it states in Part 1 1(2) These Regulations apply to Wales only

But in fact the only difference in the two pieces of legislation is that one line, they have to specify the coutry as there are devolved powers so the country must be named in the act
There is a Scottish version too and, believe it or not, the only difference is it states:
"These Regulations apply to Scotland only"

So this seems to be in opposition to what you say but it is guidance to the law and not the actual regulation
This guidance is for England and Wales

Prepacked honey must be labelled with its name, the name and address of the producer / packer, country of origin, storage conditions, a best-before date, lot mark, and weight marking. The product may only be called 'honey' if it complies with the prescribed compositional standards.

This advice applies to all sales of honey to consumers and food businesses.

So this seems to be in opposition to what you say but it is guidance to the law and not the actual regulation
This guidance is for England and Wales

Prepacked honey must be labelled with its name, the name and address of the producer / packer, country of origin, storage conditions, a best-before date, lot mark, and weight marking. The product may only be called 'honey' if it complies with the prescribed compositional standards.

This advice applies to all sales of honey to consumers and food businesses.
Yes, the regulations are slightly different, I can't even remember how I got to the legislation but it was a roundabout way and took ages following references and links. But I'm sorry, at the moment trying to find it when I don't even need it it get's slotted in the CBA pigeonhole :)

Last edited:
Last winter we lost 31 out of 44 colonies, mostly absconding. We sent off bees to Natural England and they tested positive , for the 3rd year running with fungicide azoxystrobin, but that was dismissed by NE (FERA) and not the cause of the colonly losses (for the 3rd time) .

When did you report your losses to the Bee Inspectors and what was their verdict? Did they test for AFB or EFB? It would appear Oxfordshire has a lot of EFB cases?

www.nationalbeeunit.com/public/BeeDiseases/colonyReport.cfm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back