How to increase honey sales

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amari

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
With a roadside notice 'Honey for Sale' (see pics) we sold about 4 jars a week from the front door. Since putting the jars in a plastic sandwich box our sales have quadrupled. Customers are asked to put the money down the drain pipe which goes through the hedge and empties into a chamber pot with a satisfying tinkle. Over two years we have had no major thefts, just the occasional foreign coin.

Great idea but that certainly wouldn't work in my area.

The honey, box, drainpipe, pot and money would alone gone in no time. Joys of living in a council estate hey!!!

Great idea but that certainly wouldn't work in my area.

The honey, box, drainpipe, pot and money would alone gone in no time. Joys of living in a council estate hey!!!

:iagree: looks lovely though

Wouldn't work here either, unfortunately. But more because I live at the top of a quiet cul de sac where nobody but the neighbours and the odd person driving up to turn their car around would see it.

Shortly after moving here and before we brought the bees over I stopped at a honey for sale notice on the road between Lampeter and Aberaeron. There was no honey but as I was about to leave a lady came out and offered me a jar. It wasn't kept on the stall as people nicked it; tsk tsk and in such a rural area!

Wouldn't work here either, unfortunately. But more because I live at the top of a quiet cul de sac where nobody but the neighbours and the odd person driving up to turn their car around would see it.

Ditto

Yes, I'm tempted to increase the price but passing trade is likely to have limited loose change and so to increase to £4 seems mean when annual national inflation/wage rise rate is c. 3%. I have no retail overheads and if I sold via a local shop I would probably get less than £3.50.

You will be suprised how much local shops will pay for it I was

looks good but too cheap

Yes, I'm tempted to increase the price but the passing trade is likely to be short of loose small change and to increase to £4 seems mean when annual inflation/wage rise is only c. 3%. Moreover I have no retail overheads and if I sold via a local shop I would probably receive less than £3.50 because of their cut.

Shortly after moving here and before we brought the bees over I stopped at a honey for sale notice on the road between Lampeter and Aberaeron. There was no honey but as I was about to leave a lady came out and offered me a jar. It wasn't kept on the stall as people nicked it; tsk tsk and in such a rural area!

That's the Cardis for you - the 50p coin was designed so that you could use a spanner to get it out of a Cardi's hand :D

i have the same problem ,so I put out jars in 8oz, 12oz and 1lb sizes filled with cold tea....(someone has even stolen one of those) but people passing can see what the think are jars for sale

So it attracts the passing trade and once stopped they can ring the doorbell and get a proper jar of honey

Oddly enough after 3 years of selling honey at the end of the drive we have been found by some local yobs and they are stealing the money.
I saw one doing it (in a hoodie) and gave chase but he is about 14 andi am 60 so I lost him.
Steel lockable letterbox screwed to wall is next move.

Oddly enough after 3 years of selling honey at the end of the drive we have been found by some local yobs and they are stealing the money.
I saw one doing it (in a hoodie) and gave chase but he is about 14 andi am 60 so I lost him.
Or maybe an attack dog?

Had 3 jars stolen yesterday.

Today I had some sh** open up 2 jars to taste it and leave without buying anything. Cant sell those two now, you never know what they might have put in there!

Or a 12 bore cartridge loaded with rocksalt - his speed wil give him 20 yards then watch the little sh!t squeal

ok I will start

There is going to be a shortage of honey this year

Latest posts

Back