Bumble Bees - waht advice are you giving?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I get loads of calls for Bumbles. My general advice is the same as what you are saying by the sound of things, although I am happy to provide a removal service if they REALLY need them moving, for which I charge them £30.

I moved 2 bird boxes last night actually, both of which were in very awkward positions in small gardens.

Most that I speak to though are more than happy to try and live with them if they arent causing problems.
how will you remove a bumble bee nest. ive done many and consider myself one of the best, allwayswant more tips and new ideas, many thanks

fumidil

jays fluid is not approved for bumble bee removal

And Fumidil is a banned fungicide still being used,as long as its date it can still be used, Do you advocate Fumidil as I think that should be banned period,

Going back on topic. Not one bumble or swarm call this season. First time ever and not a lot of bumbles around either so suspect they were swamped over winter.

PH

how will you remove a bumble bee nest. ive done many and consider myself one of the best, allwayswant more tips and new ideas, many thanks

And Fumidil is a banned fungicide still being used,as long as its date it can still be used, Do you advocate Fumidil as I think that should be banned period,

Is there something wrong with the date on the site?
Or is this poster responding to posts that are over two years old, and to members that are not currently using the forum?

:confused:

Last edited:
I've fast forwarded to post this so apologies if someone has already said this but...

Surely getting stung in childhood is part of the growing up "learning curve"?

Too many people nowadays are ignorant about dangers due to never being exposed to anything remotely "dangerous" as they have grown up.

Examples I can give first hand from the 18-30 age group at work;

"I hurt my ankle when I jumped off a 12 foot wall"

"it looked sharp so I rubbed my finger on it to see and now it's bleeding and hurts"

"I thought it might be hot so put my hand on it to check, it only burnt after a few seconds"!
:nopity:

I've fast forwarded to post this so apologies if someone has already said this but...

Surely getting stung in childhood is part of the growing up "learning curve"?

Too many people nowadays are ignorant about dangers due to never being exposed to anything remotely "dangerous" as they have grown up.

Examples I can give first hand from the 18-30 age group at work;

"I hurt my ankle when I jumped off a 12 foot wall"

"it looked sharp so I rubbed my finger on it to see and now it's bleeding and hurts"

"I thought it might be hot so put my hand on it to check, it only burnt after a few seconds"!
:nopity:
+1 to this .

:iagree: too!!!

I don't understand this 'phobia' to having bees in the garden; My interest in beekeeping has only evolved in the past 3 years or so, and prior to that I didnt know what a honey bee looked like, but I knew the difference between bumble bees, wasps and hornets & hover flies & I managed to grow up to the age of 46 without being once stung by a bee,& the stings I have received since have been as a result of my fumbling beekeeping efforts & never due to a random bee in the garden!

I guess we were fortunate not to ever have a nest in the house or garden that I was aware of, but even if we had I think I would have been more fascinated, rather than scared.

I have always shown due respect to all wildlife, but with my eyes open to the world around me. I fully believe in the adage that if you leave it alone, it will leave you alone.

Going back on topic. Not one bumble or swarm call this season. First time ever and not a lot of bumbles around either so suspect they were swamped over winter.

PH

Really???

In May I actually had to stop answering my phone as it was ringing non stop from 8am to 8pm all calls about bumbles!!!

In terms of Honeybee swarms it has been a very quiet year, probably half a dozen calls in total and most too far away. I have collected 2 swarms personally and sent another local beek to a 3rd.

Spoke to my contact (pest control) at the local council and they have only had 2 swarm calls which they have collected (one of the pesties has taken up beekeeping!).

Really???

In May I actually had to stop answering my phone as it was ringing non stop from 8am to 8pm all calls about bumbles!!!

In terms of Honeybee swarms it has been a very quiet year, probably half a dozen calls in total and most too far away. I have collected 2 swarms personally and sent another local beek to a 3rd.

Spoke to my contact (pest control) at the local council and they have only had 2 swarm calls which they have collected (one of the pesties has taken up beekeeping!).

Considering the number of employees ERYC have in Beverley and keeping my council tax elevated, I wonder how many of them are beekeepers? A while ago local radio broadcast the news that the building was under seige by a swarm.
I phoned the switchboard to offer to collect but someone from beverley beekeepers was already en route.

Heartwarming bumble story here.
Friends were laying new soakaways and turf on front garden and the workmen disturbed a bumble nest in the soil, covering it up.
Bumbles reopened it.
Workmen got stung but carried on and levelled the soil in preparation for the turf.
Bumbles reopened entrance.
Workmen made hole in turf for bumbles!
Everyone happy.

relocation

ive re located every bumble nest ive come across, They shouldn't b killed that is terrible,we should all be doin our utmost to help bumbles pic is just one I moved

Attachments

• bird.jpg
    bird.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 14
I've taken three phone calls in the last 18 hours about bumble bees swarms
I spend time talking with the caller and generally they are keen to help the bees just 'not in their back yard'
I try to explain that bumble bees are much less likely to sting than a honey bee or wasp and try to encourage them to live together until the autumn when the bees will naturally die off.
On all three occasions they ended the call asking if I knew someone who would come and terminate them
Maybe if my advice was better or was reinforced by a print out from a bumble bee friendly web site then I might save more of them
Without doubt other beekeepers are having bumble bee calls. What advice are you giving to the caller?

if they not bothering anyone they will only last summer

I get loads of calls for Bumbles. My general advice is the same as what you are saying by the sound of things, although I am happy to provide a removal service if they REALLY need them moving, for which I charge them £30.

I moved 2 bird boxes last night actually, both of which were in very awkward positions in small gardens.

Most that I speak to though are more than happy to try and live with them if they arent causing problems.
advice on bird boxes they usually rotten if you cant get the box off without it falling apart wrap cling film around box and post or tree a few times cut down back of cling filmpull round tight into another box and take cellophane off works a treat anything rotten

On Sunday I got a call about a "swarm of bees" in a very busy stable yard. Went along, and turned out to be a small bumble nest established in a fold of a horse rug hanging vertically in a busy, enclosed space inside the stables. With the risk of the nest being destroyed, I chose to carefully cut it out of the rug, into a small box and home to my garden. They appear to be settling down very peacefully and happily there and while I would 99% of the time encourage people to leave the bumbles where they are, in this instance I was glad to take a chance and move them out of a place where the potential for adverse encounters would just give them a bad rep.
usually tell what they gonna be if 1st question is where are they located if compost wont b honey They love an old rats nest,Location should just tell u what bthey are

Where have all these tree bumbles come from? I saw my first one about 3 years ago and now they're EVERYWHERE! I agree they are very aggressive for bumbles and the habit of the drones buzzing around the entrance makes the nest site very noticeable.It's verging on a tree bumble epedemic round here!

Its white tails all the way in sussex

rubbish/// im not ashamed when a old man of 80 and his dog got 5 stings from the so called endangered bumble bees. 2 puffs of the powder and job done and I will destroy a lot more before the season finishes.. if any one wants to come and remove them. that's fine. but I aint

I was saddened, but not ashamed. I have relocated 2 colonies that people were refusing to allow remain, spoken to dozens reassuring and they agrees to keep. I teach that BB are precious where ever I go with my Observation hive.

But have destroyed I colony. It was head height in a holiday rental property near me. Owner allows me to keep my hives on his land, but he was getting anxious guests keep contacting him.
The bees were not harmless as bombing children, not just bumping into them. Tree bumbles do sting.. I know not as severe as honey bees, but they are the most feisty of Bumbles. I have been stung by one when near the nest in my own garden. The colony was not removable as under the eaves of a single floor chalet. No option.[/QUOTE]you have a duty of care

usually tell what they gonna be if 1st question is where are they located if compost wont b honey They love an old rats nest,Location should just tell u what bthey are

Funny that as my neighbour had a swarms of honeybees take up residence in his compost bin 2 years running!
Not from my hives and at least he knew who to call!

Although not very common one of the very first call outs I did was for honeybees living in a compost bin!

Attachments

• IMG_9809.JPG
    IMG_9809.JPG
    270.8 KB · Views: 18
Where have all these tree bumbles come from? I saw my first one about 3 years ago and now they're EVERYWHERE! I agree they are very aggressive for bumbles and the habit of the drones buzzing around the entrance makes the nest site very noticeable.It's verging on a tree bumble epedemic round here!

Exactly the same here in Lancashire. 10 plus calls a day when the suns out. Tree bumblebees seem to be the most described to me. Nesting boxes and mainly small holes into cavities through brickwork the most common. Just one honey bee colony I've had so far.

That I will come and try and remove it and relocate it only advice I can give if it is in a Dangerous place to Humans

Latest posts

Back