Building Extentions.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 National Hives & 1 Observation Hive.(Indoors) & lots of empty boxes..
I split my obs hive the other week and had to put it back together quickly when it started to rain. The frames didnt go in quite evenly and one of the old ones I put back went in the other way around. What was the inner side is now the outer side. They had built the comb a bit uneven on the side that is now facing out and its interesting to see that the capped cells which were not very deep are now being built out to a uniform level, uncapped and more honey being put in.

Yes I think so and also impressed it has survived for a couple of years now.

Not really much different than any normal hive. Its 3 years next month.

Very easy to see how full it is getting so I remove two of the four frames with as many bees as I can and put in a nuc, then fit new frames and foundation. I have also watched them repair foundation when I ran out and had to put three odd bits of damaged foundation in and pressed it together.
I meant to put a foundationless frame in so I could watch them build their own comb from scratch but forgot with the rush to finish the job when it rained.
This year I took the queen out as well and moved them to a new site.

October 31st 2012

and the second one is mid February 2013
You will note how little stores they used over the winter and it stayed much the same until queen started laying and bees started flying.

Last edited:
Hi Dishmop...
excellent pics... are the bees Carniolians?

I have no idea. They are from a nuc I bought 2010 from another forum member.

Treated before I got them but not since. Never a problem with varroa although there has been a very small drop on the cardboard I keep under the bottom vents........ I put new card in last week when the hive was queenless and there has been no natural drop at all, so perhaps a queen/brood break does work.

You should try a foundationless frame and watch how they build comb

looks good.........I am bad enough watching my hives out the kitchen window, if I had one of these indoors I wouldn't get anything done as would be glued to it.

Agreed, very nice! I want one as well!!!
I yell at the wife when she parks her car wrong... then i cant see my hives with my spotting scope past it... hmmm.. if I took out one of the front windows, i could probably frame in an obs hive RIGHT beside my chair...
:cool:
If i try it, and she initiates divorce proceedings.. anyone want a new OBS hive?

Latest posts

Back