Building comb in English bee-feeder.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fiat500bee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
This was fitted in its custom eke above a matching, "multi-purpose crown-board" a couple of weeks ago. I noticed the bees had started building fragments of stray comb in the gap between the two plastic cones but today I can see that they will soon have blocked themselves out of the syrup. That in itself is no problem...their loss. ;) But I can see that they are intent on blocking the whole "chimney", which will be glueing the whole thing together. So I must prepare for a bit of a challenge on next inspection.

I know nothing with bees is necessarily "normal", but is this behaviour something to be expected just now?

This was fitted in its custom eke above a matching, "multi-purpose crown-board" a couple of weeks ago. I noticed the bees had started building fragments of stray comb in the gap between the two plastic cones but today I can see that they will soon have blocked themselves out of the syrup. That in itself is no problem...their loss. ;) But I can see that they are intent on blocking the whole "chimney", which will be glueing the whole thing together. So I must prepare for a bit of a challenge on next inspection.

I know nothing with bees is necessarily "normal", but is this behaviour something to be expected just now?

Maybe they are full of syrup and have nowhere else to put it?

Yes, true, probably got enough feed now. It was a small nuc hived only a month ago....north Scotland. I'm going to remove next inspection.

Latest posts

Back