brood!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juanito

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
Greetings from sunny spain,
On the second of April I made a split from our best hive, 3 frames of mixed brood and one of stores, Then filled up with wired foundation, on the last inspection 3rd May there were no eggs visible to my rather unreliable eyes, it has been doom and gloom since that day,
today however, on inspection without smoke!! to my surprise and relief there is capped brood on both sides of one frame and a rather nice circle of brood on the frame next to it,
I do realise that all the teachings are to use a capped queen cell or to introduce a new queen, but the young chap who sold me the hives was adamant that this way was just fine,
every day is a school day,
PS when does one graduate from being a beginner ?
pps, Enrico, muchisimo gracias for the reassurance.

Yes the bees have produced a queen either from an emergency queen cell or its not clear you made the split with a queen cell. If it was emergency then some would say three frames of bees perhaps could not raise the best queen but they sometimes do and only time will tell. I don't think you ever stop learning when it comes to beekeeping. Good luck.

Greetings from a cold and windy northern England lol, I would agree that a nucleus is not the best environment to raise a queen but if the nuc had plenty of bees a decent queen should result. I always make up nucs with an unsealed queen cell.

congratulations on your new queen.
One of my favourite sights in beekeeping is a frame laid up wall to wall with eggs!

congratulations on your new queen.
One of my favourite sights in beekeeping is a frame laid up wall to wall with eggs!

Just for you a photo I took on 27th April 2015

Attachments

• IMG_1468.JPG
    IMG_1468.JPG
    308.5 KB · Views: 36
Wow blue sky in april in Yorkshire, impressed ,

Aye, we do have nice weather some times!

Mind you at that site if the wind is blowing I can turn the frame and the bees get blown off!!!!

:hairpull:

greetings Yorkshire bees,
south Yorkshire, would that be Barnsley ?

Latest posts

Back