Brood Frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trincomalee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
My brood frames are being extended by bees continuing to build comb on the bottom. I have received conflicting advice as to wether this should be removed. Some are full of honey and others are capped. They do not seem very interested in the supers.

I scrape it off if it is a nuisance; try putting a super under the bb for a day or so, when you move it back make sure the queen is not in it! That will encourage them to use the super.
E

My brood frames are being extended by bees continuing to build comb on the bottom. I have received conflicting advice as to wether this should be removed. Some are full of honey and others are capped. They do not seem very interested in the supers.

There shouldn't be space for them to extend brood frames, so maybe your floor is too deep?

For IPM, some people put a short frame in the brood box to encourage the bees to build drone comb, which is then removed once it's capped - and removes any varroa within the cells too.

As above. There shouldn't be anywhere near that amount of free space for the bees to draw out comb, if you are using frames.

I was wondering if it was a case of Deep National frames in a 14x12 brood box.

I'd guess that the super(s), and shallow frames are new and have new foundation fitted.

If there are any brood frames with no brood and lots of honey, I'd suggest removing them temporarily and replacing with new shallow frames (the shallows would need to have some sort of spacer, whether hoffman or push on.) One could be inserted at either side of the brood nest. The bees should draw comb in a matter of days. You can remove/replace them once they are at least half drawn.
Some (even part-) drawn comb is a massive encouragement to the bees to "go up" into the super.

Thanks for your reply, the comb is about 4/5 inches below the brood frame, i do not see how incan reduce the area below the frame, i am using a poly national hive, but I will scrape it off tomorrow. Many thanks, Ian

Thanks for your help,there is large gap below the frame canoot see how to reduce it now, but will cut off the comb tomorrow. Regards ian

Take a picture so we can get a better idea of why this is happening

... the comb is about 4/5 inches below the brood frame, i do not see how incan reduce the area below the frame, i am using a poly national hive, but I will scrape it off tomorrow. Many thanks, Ian

Ah! Have you used shallow frames within the deep (brood) box by mistake?

If so, what I think would be the best idea would be to get somebody with a bit (a lot) more experience to take a look and help you sort it out. Don't rely on the internet, because we can't see what you've done.

Did you say the queen has been laying in the extra comb?

Is that 4 or 5 inches below the frame?? Something not right there.

I agree, something very wrong! And super frames in the brood box seems to be the obvious answer. Just for your information the frames that you use in the brood box should be larger than the frames you use in the super. One is called deep and one is called shallow. It is all a bit confusing when you start, I think you need a little help.
E

I have an experienced bee keeper coming this evening so will post a picture of the problem, thanks for all your help.

There's your problem, they need to be 14 x 12 frames not just deep frames! The gap at the bottom is too big, sorry but it will be easier to change them or the brood box!
E

Latest posts

Back