Brood Box Project

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Otis Hogg

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
10 Nationals, 1 WBC, 1 TBH, 5 Nuc
Hi All
Just started a winter project make my own national beehive. I’m wanting to make this from scrap wood. The project is just a prototype to see if I can get the inside and outside dimensions right, I’m not making any rebates or fancy joints this time I’m just using butt joints. If you want to see my first attempt you can see it all on my blog at http://riddlesdenbees.wordpress.com/

Regards Paul

Hi All
If you want to see my first attempt you can see it all on my blog at riddlesdenbees.wordpress.com.

With regard to the nuc and brood boxes, you got the beespace right (it would seem) but unless you make the end walls flush against the lugs, the frames will move back and forth while you carry it, which will crush bees (this is particularly true of the nuc box, which you'll move more).

Did you manage to get the boxes squared, though? (if you put multiple boxes on top of each other, are there gaps between them?) With my home-made hives I find that the beespace isn't the critical thing -- it's the gaps that occur between boxes when they're not successfully squared (the bees fill the gaps with propolis in summer, and in winter I have to close them with tape).

Looks Good but you need some frame runners and try to keep the outside as smooth as possible so water runs of it easily

They look all right to me - not perfect, sure - but serviceable.

Bloody awful wallpaper on that site though, couldn't read a word unless I highlighted the text. Too busy by half - imo, of course.

If it's of any interest, I've stopped using dedicated entrances on my Nationals, and just drill a couple of 22mm holes in the sides. It's one less thing to make. Drill 'em in both sides, fit a divider, and you've got yourself a double nuc box - it really doesn't get any easier ...
And - if you're making your own boxes - consider making 'em top bee space.

Good to see others making their own kit. :) Although you might want to check out sales prices of standard boxes if you're buying wood. I use free pallets. :)

LJ

Glad to read I'm not the only one with top bee space Nationals.

Incompatible with most local beeks, but far better overall. Simple sheet for crownboard, per eg.

Better using wire excluders, mind, so the cost differential may not be so great for some.

I have made all my boxes with screw fixings so they could be reverted to bottom bee space at the time when kit is sold off. Same with 14 x12 boxes - all (but one) are deeps with ekes screwed on, so could be separated if necessary.

Pays to think ahead. Same for those nailing boxes - never drive the nails fully home until absolutely sure all the bits are exactly in the correct place. Nothing more aggravating than finding and extracting lost head nails...... internal posidrives are easily located and freed of wax/propolis from the screw heads with a little heat.

RAB

Back