Brittle foundation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ammerbee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I made up some frames with foundation last summer, but they seem to have become quite brittle - is there anything I can do about this?

I have heard that "old foundation" can be rejuvenated by "running a hair dryer over it", I mean "warming it up with a hair dryer".

I have taken this to imply that any form of warming will probably produce a similar effect.

It has also been said that there is "nothing wrong with old foundation" and that people have put it in the hive, and the bees use it. So that might be the best option, stick one sheet in a hive, let the bees warm it up if they want and see if they go for it.

I think "Brittle" in itself is not a problem for the bees. Some people us "Plastic foundation", which is more than brittle, it is solid. So as such this "Brittleness" is not something to worry about.

K

I made up some frames with foundation last summer, but they seem to have become quite brittle - is there anything I can do about this?

Last year I used frames in a super that were made up of fragments of broken foundation, the bees sorted it out in no time

oh right - this is new foundation - but as it's not a worry that's a relief - thanks

I have successfully had foundation over 20 years old drawn out by simply waving a hair drier over it. The same principle applies to newer stuff obviously. And before the nitpickers start the bees did the actual drawing out. Not sorry to prick balloons. ;)

Relax.

PH

Warm the room up and the foundation will soften again, probably cold where it is stored!
E

Just stick it in the hive, it'll soon warm/soften up.

Actually no they will tend to ignore it if you "stick it in"

Get it warm first without the white bloom on it then they will work it well.

PH

Actually no they will tend to ignore it if you "stick it in"

Get it warm first without the white bloom on it then they will work it well.

PH

My bees have obviously not read that memo then, I've never had a problem getting them to draw out the wax on older foundation, no prior treatment used.

Good for your bees.

There are so many variables. How old was the foundation? A year three thirteen or twenty three?

PH

My bees have obviously not read that memo then, I've never had a problem getting them to draw out the wax on older foundation, no prior treatment used.
Same here - that hairdryer nonsense is just an old wive's tale

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

I have a box in the shed with twenty super frames I made up three years ago. Having reduced apiaries and stock they've not been required but they are still good as new. They might have been brittle during Winter but temps are rising so that shouldn't be an issue now.

Latest posts

Back