British tourist killed in bee attack

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been to Tanzania and Zambia on remote walking safaris. It never entered my head that bees could be dangerous there :eek:
Poor family.

some of my hives are located at a christian bible holiday camp and there was a man from somewhere in africa working at it last year,i was talking to him one day when a bee flew by us and he dropped like a stone to the ground covering his head,the bee flew on and he stood up saying that when he was younger he was attacked in africa by these killer bees and they near killed him,said they try and climb up your nose and go in your ears and all...scary stuff and sad to hear about your man that died.
Darren

Quite like Zulus. Would be more concerned with a trigger happy chap with an AK47.

18 years older than his wife; that dog.

Difficult to know what the facts are from the story. Assuming they were some sort of bee it is possible it was just a swarm trying to find somewhere to land - and chose the poor unfortunate. He paniced and subsequently died of a bad reaction or simply as a result of a pre-existing condition which the shock of it all exacerbated. They also might have been wasps and he trod on their nest. A sad end to a holiday whatever the cause.

As we all know the true "Killer Bees" (aka Africanised bees) are in the Americas not Africa.

Latest posts

Back