Break out the supers - OSR in flower!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
0 - Now in beeless retirement!
Drove out of Kingsbridge today towards Plymouth and was very surprised to see 2 fields of OSR coming into flower. I had last seen these fields about 2 weeks ago (don't often go to Plymouth) and the OSR then was just a few inches high. It is still quite low but the flower heads on a fair proportion of the plants are now sticking up and the first flowers are open. The recent warm weather has given it a big boost.

Happy days are here again.
:hurray:
Shame about the weather next week. :toetap05:

Well I knew I was living in the self decreed independent Yorkshire republic but that really shows a North / South Divide! My hives are 6m from an OSR crop, it is about 8cm high showing only primary leaves, sure variety will come into it but even so what a difference! And a balmy 7'C forcast for the w/e :(

I have some sports in a rape field in flower, it was OSR two years ago and wheat last year.

My own OSR is hmm 6" (150mm) and looking very dry indeed, in fact driving up the track the dust was hanging in the air behind me.

PH

Yup, I noticed the same fields outside Kingsbridge early this week, then it was just a few flowers starting to show yellow, I reckon we have a week or two more until there is any real quantity.

I haven't noticed any of the fields towards Salcombe or Thurlestone flowering yet though.

I work on a farm in essex and the last couple of weeks the fertiliser has been going on, and combined with the warm weather, the rape is flying. Ours just about to bloom.

not sure this is good news ppl, even the strongest of colonies are not upto speed for bringing in rape at moment, let alone drawing out comb - temps back down from tomorrow too

I don't think it is good news either. I have at most 3 colonies able to use these flowers. And I don't think they are sports from previous years but I'll try and take some picys over the weekend.

OSR in flower in wilts very patchy but yellow flowers still

Mine aren't ready to make any real use of the rape at the moment.

But looking around Kingsbridge I think the fields first mentioned do appear to be ahead of the rest, and it is still early.

even the strongest of colonies are not upto speed for bringing in rape at moment

That depends on how you manage your bee's for this early crop,plus location of course,but a good deal of my colonys are well up to speed for the rape crop of honey. The weather forcast is not to bad,just hope it does not rain to much.

To me seeing the bees working for the early pollen is great news as I hate winter and suffer with a mild form of S.A.D.
Spring is finally here and I hope we all have a great season.
:driving:

HM, I agree, regardless it looks like being an interesting year with such an early start.

even the strongest of colonies are not upto speed for bringing in rape at moment

That depends on how you manage your bee's for this early crop,plus location of course,but a good deal of my colonys are well up to speed for the rape crop of honey. The weather forcast is not to bad,just hope it does not rain to much.

your bloody queens wont stop laying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hurray:

7 frames of capped brood

Finally got round to taking a picture. Nearly got run down by a delivery van in the process! There was another field where the flowers were much more advanced but there was nowhere to park to take a better picture.
5576149607_ec07fc0615_b.jpg

Yellow fields around here also, thought they maybe daffs as 3 fields of daffs on same farm about 1/2 mile way from them. Keep meaning to go and look, will have to now. When I said around here i mean halfway between my 2 apiaries but not on the road I normally travel on, maybe too far, about 2 n a bit miles as crow flies.

First day of spring holidays!!! Winter over!!! Fields full of OSR in flower!!!

You beaut.

Ben P

Same in Bedfordshire, i have a field just down from me with loads of floowers on it.

Early start to the year

Latest posts

Back