Brace comb in supers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popparand

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have two hives side by side on the same stand, each with a super above the QE. One is drawing comb and building it up as the nectar comes in, just as you would expect. The other is drawing comb, but as brace comb, between the frames and proud of the foundation. In some cases the comb is almost like a sheath with a gap full of bees between the foundation and the back of the comb. I haven't seen this before.

All the foundation is new, some bought last year.

An explanation from one of our most experienced beekeepers is that in cold weather the bees don't always draw comb from the foundation so she always uses frames with drawn comb this time of year. She also advises spraying new foundation with a light syrup to encourage the bees to build on the foundation. She might have a point because I took the roof insulation off about a week ago to adjust the fit. Now replaced.

As you can imagine clearing out brace comb half full of unripened honey is a pretty messy operation, on top of which some of it has uncapped brood - but that's another issue.

I haven't come across the brace comb problem before. Is this something other beekeepers have experienced?

Not what you want when there's a flow on. Unusual issue and not one I've come across. Little beggars aren't they?

Where did you buy your foundation - the bees clearly don't like it for some reason. They are opportunists .. if it's there they will (usually) use it. One way or another you need to fix the problem or you will have a right old job on your hands !

Yep, not the sort of problem you want to have to deal with. The foundation came from Thorne's via one of their agents. One suggestion received was that the foundation was rolled or wired the wrong way round. I don't think that's likely as it all comes off the same machines.

The supers have their full complement of frames. all properly spaced. From memory I think they were Manley's but no gaps in between.

Anyway, I have replaced the super with a box of foundation with fully drawn comb. There shouldn't be enough space for them to muck about any more.

Anyway, I have replaced the super with a box of foundation with fully drawn comb. There shouldn't be enough space for them to muck about any more.

You could try putting one or two of the frames of foundation in between drawn frames and see if they continue to ignore the foundation .. it might tell you whether it's worth keeping or melting down for something other than bee use.

One suggestion received was that the foundation was rolled or wired the wrong way round. I don't think that's likely
more than very unlikely - it's a totally ludicrous suggestion as there is no 'wrong way round' - it's just a sheet of wax with a hexagon pattern embossed on it. Have a look at a packet of unwired foundation - you won't get an arrow with 'this way up' printed on it :D

The supers have their full complement of frames. all properly spaced. From memory I think they were Manley's but no gaps in between.
So ten to a box then - you will find, especially early season that a ten frame spacing with just foundation encourages creative comb drawing - for some reason I found it particularly prevalent with Manleys. I find it better to alternate drawn comb and foundation in thee cases. It doesn't seem to happen if there's a big flow on.

Latest posts

Back