both of my colonies may be queenless

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taff..

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
the last time that I looked into my hives was on the 24th Oct, 4 weeks ago give or take a few days. at that time they were both 3 weeks after having Apiguard removed, and while one queen was laying like crazy, the other only had a small patch of brood. I saw both queens and they looked fine.

I wasn't too concerned about the queen that only had a small patch of brood thinking that she just hasn't got going again yet after the AG and would likely get going again soon, I was actually more concerned about the other colony as it didn't have a huge amount of stores so gave them half a block of fondant.

time, weather and no particular need to go into the hives means that I havn't looked at them since, but today I had time, the weather was sunny, 14 deg with no wind and I wanted to check stores level concerned that they may have consumed lots in the last few weeks of (too?) warm weather.

I found 2 agressive colonies and not a single egg between them :eek:

as I was going through the first I was thinking if this colony is Q- then I'll combine it with the other one, there was lots of stores (all honey, no feed) and lots of pollen, polished cells but no sign of the queen or eggs.

the other colony turned out to be pretty much the same, lots of stores, way more than what I've fed them, lots of pollen, polished cells and no sign of queen and no eggs.

I didn't combine them, they have been left to their own devices for the moment, as I've already said, they have plenty of stores to last them the winter ahead, the chances of having another nice day like today is getting less and less and I think there's bugger all I can do anyway.

I'm just praying that they've just stopped laying for reasons that only they understand, otherwise they're pretty much foobared :(

They have stopped laying. Sensible bees.

Any other scenario will be a next year problem. Stop worrying; won't do any good. Next time, heft them instead of interfering with them. That way you will not disturb them and won't know any different, one way or the other.

RAB

Any other scenario will be a next year problem. Stop worrying; won't do any good. Next time, heft them instead of interfering with them. That way you will not disturb them and won't know any different, one way or the other.

RAB

This

RAB

Thanks RAB

Hefting was really my intention when I woke up this morning and was making plans for the day, but it turned out to be so warm.....

I just hope that the agression was down to time of year and them knowing if they get robbed of their stores now there's nothing out there for them to replace it with. :)

I just hope that the agression was down to time of year and them knowing if they get robbed of their stores now there's nothing out there for them to replace it with. :)
One of mine took exception to being caught by a leaf rake today. Earlier in the year it didn't bother them. I'll have to wait for a colder morning to do that side.

Helped at a friend's apiary today, fallen behind due to the problems life often throws at us. All we were doing was hefting and removing feeders, quick squint down into the seams. Had quite a few in my face and trying to drill their backside into my arms, I'd imagine they'd have been even more upset had we started lifting frames.

RAB

Agreed. This is not the time of year to be opening hives. It be winter.

... This is not the time of year to be opening hives. It be winter.

We all know that the bees don't read the books.
My lot can't read the calendar either.
And they haven't even taken any notice of the Christmas lights on the shops.
Make honey while the sun shines ...

It's pretty pointless saying leave them alone "it's winter"

At 2pm today my apiary air temp was 15c and there were a dozen bees doing orientation flights along with a stream of foraging bees.

Taff I bet the queens are still in there and just slowed down or stopped laying for winter, i think it would be unusual to lose both queens at the same time for no apparent reason, as Rab says as long as they have sufficient stores for the winter leave them untill spring nothing you can do now anyway, just keep an eye on the level of stores etc and hopfully you will see pollen going in, in the spring and all will be well Chris

Why bother them? What possible positive outcome can anyone have by looking in? Hefting is all we can do now, oxalic when it gets colder for a few weeks, pollen going in by spring then inspections after easter, that's what I do anyway

"It's pretty pointless saying leave them alone "it's winter"

I agree - 15 degs here today, and was in shorts all day, working ourtside.

I am mowing the lawn again tomorrow having "winterised" and greased my mower twice thinking that would be it for the year.

Buds on a lot of my trees. Eucalyptus looks like it is trying to flower again.

And bees everywhere, and still mostly bringing it in. Mad.

I'm actually a bit worried as my nucs have carried on expanding in this warm weather, and are now a bit tight for space.

then inspections after easter, that's what I do anyway

Depends on the weather and part of the country regards this Mazz,usually built up colonies a month before,and started queen rearing down here in the south,maybe before you have even looked into your hives up north.

Very true, you guys prob are a month ahead of us up north! Can't wait to move to Portugal, apparently still queen rearing there in November, forage all year round, serious brood rearing from feb!

Sounds like a good move Mazz,was thinking of going to the same place myself,for the same reasons you mention.

If one are going into a hive doing an inspection then one has to have an objective. Checking on brood on a warm day in November does not seem to me like a good objective. My last inspections were in September and my next will probably be in April and that is probably the same for a lot of other beekeepers.

It may be warm but what can lifting frames out in November achieve? And what should one expect to see? (probably no brood) And then what can one do if we expect something different from what we see? (probably nothing) The bees are aware of shorter days, colder nights and daytime temperatures that can keep them inside, so we should leave them alone. Heft, help and feed, but otherwise, leave them be is my opinion.

And what should one expect to see? (probably no brood)

I am still having orientation flights daily....

Why bother them? What possible positive outcome can anyone have by looking in? Hefting is all we can do now, oxalic when it gets colder for a few weeks, pollen going in by spring then inspections after easter, that's what I do anyway

That can't be a good basis to work on surely? Easter can vary by a month, as can spring. With an early easter and a late spring, it could still be practically winter. With a late easter and an early spring, it could be mid-season.

Easter is April 9th next year. This year, many peoples bees were swarming by then.

Latest posts

Back