Borrowing extractor - what is a suitable good will gesture?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean.

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if I could get some advice?

I'm going to be borrowing an extractor from someone who at our local association, it will be his personal extractor not the clubs. As this is my first year, and I'm not sure of what a suitable good will gesture would be to say thank you?

Any advice if there is a precedent, or what people normally do, would be really appreciated.

Thank you.

Sean

As long as it comes back clean and undamaged then I'd be happy with a good bottle of red (min 14%!!!).

R2

depends how well you know the person, I have borrowed from the person who gave me lessons, she offered, I asked what I owed her and she said nothing, however I have offered to catch her moles up for her in her field. Worth it for her and bar from the time it will take its worth it for me. However if she didnt have the problem She would have just known that I would help out if and when needed. So long as the extractor goes back clean that is the main thing I think

MOLES... you can borrow my extractor anytime...
I will even supply a swivvel chair and shotgun!!!!!

who needs a shotgun! how much land do you have? or should i say how many moles!! Hubby is a professional pestie who doesnt have enough hours in the day so has trained me up as well! hopefully sorted extrator wise now but we might have other things we can trade? :D

:biggrinjester:Twas a Jasper Carrot sketch!!!:biggrinjester:

Moles...... only one way to get rid of moles...... BLAST their ###### heads off!

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

I leant mine to someone and he gave me a jar of honey!

Our BKA charge £20 to borrow the extractor, or a tenner per head if you are having an extraction party and two or more extracting together. All adds up when you only have one super to extract.

Before I bought mine, I gave a jar or two of my honey freshly extracted plus the washings from the cappings and extractor so she could make some mead with it.

Our BKA charge £20 to borrow the extractor, or a tenner per head if you are having an extraction party and two or more extracting together. All adds up when you only have one super to extract.

They charge members to borrow an extractor :eek:

Ours is free, always has been. You can either take a small tangential or a 9 frame radial (hand cranked) home, or use the 12 frame electric ones in our extraction room at the association apiary.

Yes, I think a good bottle is far better than a couple jars of honey - that's a bit too much like 'taking coals to Newcastle'!

Twenty quid for a super is a tad expensive - one should enlist another beekeeper or two to defray the cost. That is for ten minutes 'spinning time' (plus a bit for draining and cleaning).

But set against that it is worth quite a bit to preserve the comb, rather than scraping and draining, or even cutting out and mashing. A super is a fiver, just for the foundation.

At twenty quid, I would be seriously looking for a second hand plastic tangential - even at a hundred quid, one must be able to get five years use and sell it for the same sort of money! It is simply the storage space that may be a problem for some.

My nine frame manual (with screens) cost around a couple hundred over ten years ago and a new electric could now be as much as four times that, although the eight framers with an electric drill drive appear to be very good value at around the four hundred mark.

After all, they don't wear out so very quickly, don't eat a lot, and are available whenever needed.

RAB

:biggrinjester:Twas a Jasper Carrot sketch!!!:biggrinjester:

Moles...... only one way to get rid of moles...... BLAST their ###### heads off!

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

We use solar molers, solar powered devices that buzz, dont seem to have had moles for a few years now, they are all in the field next door.

We use solar molers, solar powered devices that buzz, dont seem to have had moles for a few years now, they are all in the field next door.

They are great if you have a small garden but like you say it doesnt get rid of them, just moves them on! Give me your address and I will send some cards down. . . you could pass them to your neighbours!! :biggrinjester: We have seen some of these vibrators pushed out of the ground by resident mole who obviously didnt want to move on!

Thank you for all the replies, I think a bottle of nice red it will be.

I don't know if he has moles, but I have images of 'Caddyshack' in my mind now.:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back