Borage as forage

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want to see honey bees in your garden simply plant some Oregano/Marjoram. I've not seen a plant to match it.

How close? Bees don't seem to forage on plants close to the hive. I t hink it has to do with the fact that they can't identify to other bees where it is if it is too close!
E

Hi Eric, I've got borage Lauren's grapes poppy lavender, oregano, margarum, thistles not five metres away from my garden hives and they have been foraging on them this week, This has coinsided with the blackberries slowing down.

That and the weather they will forage within 5 meters.

Last edited:
If you want to see honey bees in your garden simply plant some Oregano/Marjoram. I've not seen a plant to match it.

i agree they love oregano and also love thyme.

i have a passion flower they go crazy for it too, i think because passion flower have alot of nectar. at 8pm in the evening when its turning dark they are still flying to my passionflower plant in my garden to forage until the last bit of daylight

Our garden has borage, opium poppies, phacelia, comfrey all within 10 meters of hives and in flower now. And covered in bees -both honey and bumbles..Then heather and lavender and dahlia (single).

Ditto large ceanothus bush approx 1 metre cubed when in flower.

Back