Blue/green coloured honey in comb

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

youngyoungs

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
More than 4
Just extracting some of the first honey from our training apiary and on a number of the frames, there are about 5 cells which contain a bright blue/green colour liquid (honey).

Have others seen this and if so what ideas did they have about what the bees were feeding on?

Thanks

In France it was the residue from M and Ms manufacture

Since there are only a few cells per frame it seems more likely to be coloured pollen . I wondered about honey dew, what colour is that?

In W Yorks the local toffee works is a suspect.

Also heard of a farmer having exposed heap of confectionery waste intended as animal feed supplement.

There are some plants that have blue pollen. I think that Viper's Bugloss is among them, but that does not normally flower until June.

There are some plants that have blue pollen. I think that Viper's Bugloss is among them, but that does not normally flower until June.

Phacelia has a navy purple pollen, currently in flower in my garden.
Cazza

I've had bees bringing in blue / green pollen and wondered what it was?

If you've got a car breaker's yard nearby, it could be from there - I recall that the bees like glycol, which is a constituent of anti-freeze used in engines.

CVB

Latest posts

Back