Black Friday is it really a bargain.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kighill

House Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Forever more.
The national press has recently been reporting regarding all bargains not always being what they first appear.
I have had an email re Black Friday and the item on sale is Apibioxal Treatment
WAS:
175g- £59.94
350g- £89.94
SALE PRICE:
175g- £39.95
350g- £69.00
I have had some good buys from this company and was looking to buy some of the above but found it on another site cheaper although only a few pounds the cheaper price is the competitors normal price.

Condition: New
£37.00
Size 175g

Normal price still cheaper even adding postal charges.

Caveat emptor

Looks like a real bargain, I often wonder how they can do it this cheap.

Last edited:
Yep, approx 200 quid per kilo is only about twenty times the cost of plain oxalic acid.

This stuff must be gold plarted. So that must make it at least twenty times better than the plain active ingredient!

Yep, approx 200 quid per kilo is only about twenty times the cost of plain oxalic acid.

This stuff must be gold plarted. So that must make it at least twenty times better than the plain active ingredient!

Yes but it is 'approved ', worth every penny to say to the bees that it comes as such (not)
S

I don't think anyone has killed their bee using oxalic acid sublimation, probably the opposite

I'm not seeing any bargains in general.
Can anyone explain the the relevance of 'Black Friday' here in the UK? :puke:

Looks like a real bargain, I often wonder how they can do it this cheap.

Big problem is the cost of the approved bottled Spring water* to mix it up with before pouring this acidic sugary solution over you varroa infested colony of bees... in an approved manner of course.

*Will the price tumble on Black Friday??

:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

Yeghes da

you understate your case
http://www.constructionchemicals.co.uk/Oxalic-Acid.html?gclid=CIqk1PDQvtACFQcQ0wod4-gMWQ
You can get oxalic acid at £89 per 25 kg = £3.56/kg

the original was
175g- £59.94 = £351.51/kg factor of 96 more expensive
350g- £89.94 = £256.91/kg factor of 72 more expensive

sale
175g- £39.95=£228.28 factor of 64 more expensive
350g- £69.00=£197/kg factor of 55 more expensive

btw Oxalic acid has similar toxicity level to pure aspirin i.e. ~ 500mg/kg which makes it only 6 times more poisonous as salt (NaCl) and less poisonous than paracetamol

Last edited:
I'm not seeing any bargains in general.
Can anyone explain the the relevance of 'Black Friday' here in the UK? :puke:

It's that time of year that youtube shows a series of videos of people fighting over rubbish TVs in Iceland.

Does Apibioxal have any advantages over normal oxlalic acid? Other than a it's permitted use? I like the sound OA vaping but all these post flying about aren't half confusing at the moment!!

Does Apibioxal have any advantages over normal oxlalic acid? Other than a it's permitted use? I like the sound OA vaping but all these post flying about aren't half confusing at the moment!!

Advantages
It is approved.

Disadvantages
1. Very expensive
2. As full of sugar, not suitable for sublimation.

You really have to question the suitability for their job of anyone approving it.

Apibioxal contains sugar and silca which don't vaporise and leave a horrible residue in your machine unless you line it with tin foil. Pure oxalic acid doesn't leave anything behind.

Apibioxal contains sugar and silca which don't vaporise and leave a horrible residue in your machine unless you line it with tin foil. Pure oxalic acid doesn't leave anything behind.

Seems a bit odd they engineer it so it doesn't work in the 2nd most common use case.

Seems a bit odd they engineer it so it doesn't work in the 2nd most common use case.

Designed to discourage it in my view..

Says on the Thorne site suitable for use in a vapourisers? Think I'll take your word for it! cheers

Latest posts

Back