bj sheriff or bbwear

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beesleybees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 + 4 nucs
Hi guys,

I know i should have done this at the beginning of the year but im looking to buy a bee suit after a bee got inside my vail yesterday and stung me on my neck 3 times!!! i was then promptly chased by others in the group and so i want some proper protection

Ive been looking at the full suits provided by bbwear and bjsheriff. Both offer free gloves and shipping. Only differance i can see is price, bjsheriff being £22 more than bbwear.

can anyone tell me which one they think i should get?? is paying the extra £22 to bjsheriff worth it??

also, when I do order one, any recommendations on colour or should i just go for the traditional white

thanx in advance

Both are good quality. I have a bbwear which I'm very happy with and would happily recommend, but can't really comment if there is any value in paying the extra to sheriff.

Sage is nice!

I have Bee basic suit in olive which fits me reasonably well and seems secure - I've just bought another so that my 5'10'' husb doesn't have to wear my 4'11'' suit in emergencies! Delivered in 24 hours too.

Very pleased with my khaki Sherriff 'Apiarist', if you are not a bog-standard size they will give you a shorter or taller version, and when mine arrived and I found it to be a little large, and emailed them for advice, I received a reply saying a smaller size was already on it's way. That's service!
It's great to wear, feels secure, and not too hot.

BTW whatever you get I recommend wearing a tubular jersey neck-cloth under, it adds to your security and protects your throat if you have been careless enough to leave a gap. Along with a baseball cap to keep the veil out of contact with your face at all times you should be able to work with the bees and feel easy in yourself.

BB Wear and Sherriff are both highest quality. I've worn suits from both. But it sounds like BB Wear are better value these days.

I have been going through this myself recently also and would be interested in everyones comments.I am thinking about two suits, one for my bees and one for visits elsewhere. I currently use a lightweight Sheriff but they don't seem to do that anymore (but BB Wear does!). I am struggling to find out small details like is there a hook to hang a suit up or how well do they work with Nitriles. Suits 10 years ago were all designed for leather gauntlets, however many nowdays no longer use these but suits don't seem to changed designs to keep up. You need to buy separate extra gauntlets on top! Currently considering a BB Wear BB1 and BB101 as the favourite for top quality without a huge premium. Howver I might wait unil the honey show to see them all in the flesh...

Last edited:
I have both and they both get the thumbs up from me ! My sherriff suit is over ten years old and has a few patches round the top of the thigh where I've burnt through with holding the smoker between my legs but is still going strong and the bbwear is newer and therefore less threadbare so is first choice if I think the bees will be rough.
I cant recomend one above the other but I would say that either is head and shoulders above any of the cheaper alternatives I've seen. They both have elaticated wrists which work great with nitile gloves.
One other thing that comes to mind when comparing the suits is the bbwear has a longer zip at the ankles making it easier to put on over boots

BB Wear and Sherriff are both highest quality. I've worn suits from both. But it sounds like BB Wear are better value these days.
Don't quote me but Ive a feeling that there is a family connection in there somewhere

VM

I think it really is down to personal choice, I bought Sheriff as it was the 1st one I saw when I bought a suit. I now own 2, both a full suit (purchased this year) and the 'Honey Rustler' jacket that I purchased 2 years ago. Both top quality. I haven't any experience of BBwear so can't comment on their suits.

I would say that personally I didn't go for white as it looks dirtier faster. I chose the khaki and think that looks good and you stand out less when in an out apiary when you don't really want people to spot your location so easy!

BB Wear do the 20% discount thing for Divisional members (on confirmation of paid up membership) do Sherrif offer a similar discount?

R2

I bought a very good suit from Modern Beekeeping when I bought some poly national hives. Only £56.99 and much better than one from another supplier which was over £100.00 - the veil has already parted from the frame and is now my spare, after liberal use of the stapler!

The new one is much cooler and nice zips on 3 pockets and ankles.Velcro cuffs, hive tool pocket good visibility and easy closure, even with gloves on. Could not recommend it more. I have been stung through it.once, but was a hot day and did not put anything on underneath, so should have expected it! Unless you go with the American Ultrabreeze which is v expensive, you can expect a few stings through any suit if you don't wear something thick underneath

PS I have no connections with the above firm!

I also have the bbwear and have been very pleased with it. Can't comment on the sherriff but my mum wears my grandads suit. The veil had to be replaced this year for about £32 (not sure about the price) Whch I don't think is bad for a 40 year old suit.

I also looked at the MBS one and have decided to get those for the twins. They look great value and appear to be Swienty ones I think. It would give me a chance to look at them. They also do a light weight hive tool and baby smoker, perfect for the kids. MBS kit is small in number but seems especially well chosen for quality. I am spending more and more there :rolleyes:

They are and I'm sure you will be very satisfied with the quality. Both my wife and daughter wear them and they are easily as well made as my BBwear, they are thicker material as well.

bbwear are useless in their communications, pain in the backside IMHO

sheriff cant be faulted

Latest posts

Back