Bit of a disaster

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do224

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Been intending to unite a nuc with a hive but been under the weather for a few days. Last inspected the nuc on 5th June (nuc was made up on 1st June) and was pretty happy with it. Bees had drawn a frame of foundation and queen had laid it up really well. Still about a third of a frame of stores.

Went to do the unite this afternoon. Made the other colony q-. Put on newspaper then qx. New brood box on top with six frames of foundation. Opened the nuc and instantly saw they’d dwindled badly. Maybe a frame and a half of bees left. Quite a few dead bees on the floor. The bees were extremely lethargic and there were no stores left at all. Saw the queen. Decided I better go ahead with the unite as I’d already squashed the queen in the other colony. Moved the frames from the nuc into the top box of the unite, which made up a full box along with the foundation I’d already put in there. Noticed the frame of eggs I’d seen on 5th June is still just that…eggs not larvae and there were no bees on the frame.

Rushed home and made up some 1:1 syrup and put it in a spray bottle. Sprayed all the bees with it lightly (avoiding hitting the queen) and put some syrup in a feeder above the crown board.

Will the unite still work with such a small number of bees? Will they recover and be able to chew through the newspaper? What will happen to the abandoned frame of eggs?

Will they recover and be able to chew through the newspaper? What will happen to the abandoned frame of eggs?
I believe it will work. The top bees are unlikely to do much to it for a while but the bottom bees will potentially remove the newspaper - a couple of slits it it with a hive tool might help. The dead eggs will no doubt be removed in due course.

Latest posts

Back