Biscuit joiner

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you think biscuits are a good way of joining roof sides together or stick to the traditional finger joints

Do you think biscuits are a good way of joining roof sides together or stick to the traditional finger joints

Half lap joints are easier than finger joints and still give a good glue area. Can be done easily with a slide mitre saw or router (or tenon saw and chisel if you like the hand tools)

There is certainly nothing wrong with using a bicuit joint for your roof sides.
You will have the option of mitreing the corners which will give you a nice square frame when gluing up.

pine boards

I use a board 600mm wide x 3 mtrs long available from Scandinavian Pine (scan pine) google it, they are block jointed boards so dont twist or cup. Ive made a dozen BB's and supers out of them over the last four years and none have fell apart or developed gaps or splits, treated with Ducks Back. You can get three BB's out of one sheet or quite a few supers, cost about £30 a sheet. All you need is patience and time to make them as they are quite fiddley getting the sizes exactly right. Its one thing paying £200 + for one hive but if you want a dozen it gets a dear do, so making them up cuts costs down dramatically.

Dave W

Some will go to ashes,some will go onto sawmills.:thanks:

Why Ash never got on well with Ash its ok when used in old cars……..don’t suppose theres any chance of Chestnut die back.

…..don’t suppose theres any chance of Chestnut die back.

Lot of sweet chestnut grown around here by the big estates Tom, and we have quite a lot of it milled at the moment, nice timber, which has many uses.

Yes Pete a nice timber and one I have worked with a few times in the past easy to machine and looks great when finished it’s a great alternative to Oak if you like that mid brown timber. Bit of a confession I made a big Oak unit for someone once and ran short of Oak so I incorporated some Chestnut and it was hard to spot.

Another great timber to pick from all the great timbers we have in this country is Sycamore if seasoned right a far superior timber than Maple not as hard but very similar but then this is perhaps nothing new to you..

So Ash is OK for making hives, has anyone made an Ash hive and did it last, warp fall apart and how would you protect it from the elements ?

So Ash is OK for making hives, has anyone made an Ash hive and did it last, warp fall apart and how would you protect it from the elements ?

Yes i have and its okay, little heavy though, treat as you would any other non durable timber.

It is a good timber,was used a lot in the framework construction of vehicles,looked nice on the old morris travellers.

From a couple of sites.

Used for boat building, canoes, oars, tillers; deck beams and frames. Extensively used for cabinetmaking and furniture, chair making, agricultural implements, vehicle bodies, wheelwrighting, bentwork, fancy turnery and laminated articles. Corestock and plywood manufacture, and decorative veneers for furniture, panelling and marquetry. Ash also takes treatment as hardwood (silver grey) and in veneer form, the olive ash figure is highly decorative, especially in stumpwood and burr form.

Tough and flexible - Ash is one of our toughest native timbers and because of its flexibility it can withstand pressure, shock and splintering. Traditionally ash was used for weapons and the word ash comes from the Anglo Saxon word for spear 'Aesc'. In modern times it is used wherever toughness is important as in sports equipment, tool handles, boat fittings, chair making, cabinet making and turnery.

Bending * Ash can be readily steam bent into curved outlines without breaking or loosing strength.

King of Trees * A tall deep-rooted tree, the Vikings considered Ash the king of trees with "its roots in hell and its branches reaching the heavens"

Great description of the ASH (king of trees) Hivemaker, it makes it all the more depressing when you hear the news that the disease outbreak is worse than first thought, haven't we also got a problem with our Horse chestnut trees being killed by aphids ?, it can`t get much worse or can it ! chris

Hi,
I am a joiner by trade and recently my Dewalt biscuit joiner gave up after 7 years of regular use, the same week I saw them for sale in lidl, I bought it for €28 and so far I have found it nicer to use than the Dewalt.
NB. Most Biscuits that are sold are made from compressed Beech, if exposed to any dampness it will rot very quickly.
I think it would be sufficient to but join the boards side by side and glue them with a good outdoor glue such as puracol. Maybe the biscuits might be a help when you are clamping the boards to stop them sliding on the glue and keep the surfaces flush! You could do this with dowles too.

"was used a lot in the framework construction of vehicles,looked nice on the old morris travellers."

Still is used by Morgan - who are apparently dreading the effect the disease will have on their business.

Morgan actually issued a press release to the effect that they can (and may have to) use alternative materials in the car bodies. I am not too sure they are 'dreading' what will happen.
http://www.morgan-motor.co.uk/mmc/newspages/ash.html
Interestingly they note Ash was used to frame car bodies because of the way it dissipates kinetic energy in a crash.

I have taken the plunge (no pun intended) and bought a biscuit joiner, any tips ?

Just one be careful and make sure you can still count to ten when you have finished working with it. :smash:

Latest posts

Back