Bird Flu UPDATES

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too many people nowadays have a heavy cold and reckon they have influenza, "real Flu" kills!:facts:
That's good to hear,I am sat here with a very heavy cold that has lasted weeks and was getting worried.
My father had it and died from it last year,my mother got it last month and we burried
her on Wednesday......

Sorry to hear that Admin.
I had a sore throat/cold before christmas, and it went about a week later, 3 days after that I had it again with achy limbs, boiling hot freezing cold scenario and all the usual symptoms associated with flu, still not 100% right and talking to other people who have had it say that it takes about 6 weeks before it totally disappears.
probably is the flu as it has been 11 years since I had it last so immunity was running low. Hopefully i'll be right for another 10 years.

That's good to hear,I am sat here with a very heavy cold that has lasted weeks and was getting worried.
My father had it and died from it last year,my mother got it last month and we burried
her on Wednesday......

So sorry...that's awful for you

Thought I'd pop down to see the chooks safely locked in.
They never sleep in their Eglu, preferring perches in their run, even in freezing cold weather

Attachments

• IMG_2686.JPG
    IMG_2686.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 15
her on Wednesday......

Sorry to hear that, had they had a good innings?

:thanks: 20 /1 Jeyes fluidnot worthy

Myttin da

If you are using Jeyes around laying hens beware of tainting the eggs. Eggs are porous and DO pick up the taint. Creosote is a no-no in laying houses due to the smell. Your local farm supplier can supply an approved disinfectant for poultry diseases that won't cause a problem.

If you are using Jeyes around laying hens beware of tainting the eggs. Eggs are porous and DO pick up the taint. Creosote is a no-no in laying houses due to the smell. Your local farm supplier can supply an approved disinfectant for poultry diseases that won't cause a problem.

T'was quoting the APHA web page on " approved" products..... just a shock to see it there ?:hairpull:

Yeghes da

Our remaining two silkies are still laying but are really fed up about not being able to use the chicken run....they have a small covered pen in front of their eglu. However...within sight across the fields our neighbour lets her chickens geese and ducks out free range everyday. The restrictions are put in place to protect the vulnerable.

Tremyfro
If you look at the areas DEFRA has delineated as high risk on their interactive map they make no sense whatsoever. Bit like a lot of what DEFRA and its police force the VMD do.
It looks like we maybe able to let our chickens out while an immediate neighbour won't. You might be able to let them out in your garden while disease is still occurs somewhere. Who knows?
What has changed? Maybe only the date?
I'd like to know if influenza found in garden poultry was in birds kept in after the regulations were put in place or left out.
Two days ago I tried to find an interactive map for Wales but kept being directed back to the English one

I will check that map...thanks.

The map shows Wales but there are no high risk areas shown. I put my postcode in and the area came up...nothing to see though. The defra site says ALL the UK is under restriction...so all domestic birds should be housed.

Yes it does. I was talking about after Feb 28. From then unless DEFRA changes its mind you can let your birds out if you are not in a high risk area. If you go to Wales.gov they give you the DEFRA interactive map to explore which as you have pointed out has no high risk areas in Wales. Actually I think the map is just blank. Wales doesn't seem to exist because DEFRA do not operate in Wales. We have a devolved organisation who don't have an interactive map

Typical...that's what you get when you divvy up the country...a fractured organisation!

Apparently...the restrictions are to stay until April...but I haven't read them yet.

Latest posts

Back