Big pile of dead bees in front of hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
30+
Went up to the Apiary today to find in front of one of my hives a big pile of dead/moribund or spaced out bees... I'd say it is in the 100s. Those in the pile that were still alive were huddled together but not really moving much or when they did, they appeared very dozy/drunk. I was last at the apiary last Monday and don't recall seeing a big pile then... the pile was predominantly workers although the were drones there too. Made me quite sad.

I started wondering what could have caused this... I began by thinking CBPV... I did notice a few bees in the hive with the trademark shiny appearance so it is present... but could this cause such a sudden death of so many? I thought the same of acarine although bees didn't seem to be crawling, they seemed to be just below the entrance and again, could this cause such a sudden extinction? Lastly could this have been some kind of poisoning? I'd be surprised though as this seems to be the only colony out of the many I have in the apiary that has succumbed. ... There is no question they were short of food, they have 2 supers on as well as outer stores in the brood. I'm afraid I couldn't get a picture as I left my phone in the car.

I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar or might be able to share their ideas on what might be happening in this hive.

Have a similair problem at moment. Possibly 30 bees on floor not knowing what to do. Often loaded with pollen and overcome by rain or cold if they do not get back in to hive. Am going to check tomorrow if Lime is in flower as this has often been said causes bees to become DRUNK !.

rule of thumb is

1) all died at same time-, no queen= poison

2)in different stage of decomposition= CBPV

3) all died at same time +Queen =drowned caste/virgin flight/clipped queen

pile of dead bees

Went up to the Apiary today to find in front of one of my hives a big pile of dead/moribund or spaced out bees... I'd say it is in the 100s. Those in the pile that were still alive were huddled together but not really moving much or when they did, they appeared very dozy/drunk. I was last at the apiary last Monday and don't recall seeing a big pile then... the pile was predominantly workers although the were drones there too. Made me quite sad.

I started wondering what could have caused this... I began by thinking CBPV... I did notice a few bees in the hive with the trademark shiny appearance so it is present... but could this cause such a sudden death of so many? I thought the same of acarine although bees didn't seem to be crawling, they seemed to be just below the entrance and again, could this cause such a sudden extinction? Lastly could this have been some kind of poisoning? I'd be surprised though as this seems to be the only colony out of the many I have in the apiary that has succumbed. ... There is no question they were short of food, they have 2 supers on as well as outer stores in the brood. I'm afraid I couldn't get a picture as I left my phone in the car.

I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar or might be able to share their ideas on what might be happening in this hive.
Any chance some one spraying weed killer.

Lime not in flower for a month. My bees are getting chilled . Not hundreds of dead ones but quite a few struggling to get home!
E

Lime not in flower for a month. My bees are getting chilled . Not hundreds of dead ones but quite a few struggling to get home!
E

I considered that but it only seems to be this colony and yesterday wasn't cold yet there were fresh bees on the floor below.

rule of thumb is

1) all died at same time-, no queen= poison

2)in different stage of decomposition= CBPV

3) all died at same time +Queen =drowned caste/virgin flight/clipped queen

Thanks MM. The colony is queenless after failed QC from AS so I had planned to reunite with old queen now hopefully fever has subsided. I can't say whether they all died at same time but was over a period of 5 days and still ongoing, a big smelly pile in front of hive. Have cleaned it away. I guess it is looking like CBPV then... does this usually spell the end for a colony or can they sometimes pull through?

Thanks MM. The colony is queenless after failed QC from AS so I had planned to reunite with old queen now hopefully fever has subsided. I can't say whether they all died at same time but was over a period of 5 days and still ongoing, a big smelly pile in front of hive. Have cleaned it away. I guess it is looking like CBPV then... does this usually spell the end for a colony or can they sometimes pull through?

i have seen more CBPV this year than i would normally expect to see, I think it must be the periods of confinement due to bad weather that are increasing the occurance

not much you can do as it is a virus except keep them on clean comb and varroa levels low but once you see piles of bees, it is touch and go whether it would survive , remember CBPV is now thought to be the cause of Isle of Wight Disease that wiped out large quanties of the english Honey bee in the 20th centuary

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back