Bibba 2005 newsletter?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Stiffy View Post
BIBBA Bee improvement and bee breeders association. It really is just dedicated to promoting AMM and ‘reducing’ imports.

S
And been equally successful in both endeavors:winner1st::iagree:

Teaching and educating beekeepers how to improve their stocks without the need for importation.
Even some of BIBBA's greatest dissenters and critics learnt their skills by attending one of the BIBBA Bee Breeding and Bee Improvement sessions.... only group who REGULARLY hold sessions for ALL beekeepers... lots of transferrable SKILLS even for those who wish to keep Carnioloan / Anatolian / Italian / Dutch / Danish / German or even hybrids etc etc etc.....

Nadelik Lowen

I went to the IoM BIBBA conference a couple of years' ago. Well organised by Roger P and lots of speakers and lots of interesting stuff. Randy Oliver made several presentations and laid into the "it must be black" brigade in one of them to challenge their views. I expect it ruffled a few feathers but a challenge is always good.

Which article were you particularly interested in?

Hi
I was interested in two, the "Beowolf vindicated..." one, which wasn't good... I don't understand why all the jumping up and down when an Amm (90% + pure) is discovered, whenever barge loads were imported during and after the Isle of Wight Disease, I mean when you swamp the country with Dutch and French Amm's and added to that fact that subspecies fly at different heights into DCA columns, with the first three drones accounting for about 50% of the workers, it's not a surprise that there develop pockets of pure Amm's. Bottom line, all the Amm's here are imports... except the Buckfast's, they're Native, because the were bred here ;) sarcasm

Also the one about the pure black bees being discovered in the Church, "Native bees in a Church roofspace" I had read about it in the newspapers. Thought it ... interesting ... that they have been named, it's called a 'Form' when you go one stage below Sub-Specie, right?
So their Form is "St. James", (the article uses the beekeeping term "Strain", am I correct in my understanding of the terminology?) so it's Apis mellifera mellifera 'st.james'

It;s a simple choice. Keep the type of bees that suit your beekeeping ambitions.
Don't dictate or moralise that "your" bees are the ones everyone HAS TO KEEP.

:iagree:

...but the tide has already turned against your mode of thinking, and it now feels unstoppable... it's surely only a matter of time until a Conservation / Sanctuary is established in law on the mainland and then it will be able to be enlarged bit by bit... Black Bee enthusiasts have already put into writing their intentions of establishing an all island conservation area.

:iagree:

...but the tide has already turned against your mode of thinking, and it now feels unstoppable... it's surely only a matter of time until a Conservation / Sanctuary is established in law on the mainland and then it will be able to be enlarged bit by bit... Black Bee enthusiasts have already put into writing their intentions of establishing an all island conservation area.

They can put what they like in writing, After all, with a few honourable exceptions that is basically all they have achieved in 50 years of existence.:paparazzi:

How many metaphores cane you get into one sentance?:winner1st:

Nadelik Lowen

One, if its to be written with any "style" . Mixed metaphors are generally frowned upon.

Latest posts

Back