Bibba 2005 newsletter?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TooBee...

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2+ nucs
Does anyone have, or do you know where I can view online the newsletter for BIBBA Oct. 2005, number 21?

Got hold of some BIBBA booklets on Queen rearing and other stuff and have started reading up on Beowolf Cooper (their founder), so just doing some extra research.

The mention of BIBBA can send some members in convulsions - please take a deep breath - and let it go - there you feel better don't you :)

Does anyone have, or do you know where I can view online the newsletter for BIBBA Oct. 2005, number 21?

Got hold of some BIBBA booklets on Queen rearing and other stuff and have started reading up on Beowolf Cooper (their founder), so just doing some extra research.

The mention of BIBBA can send some members in convulsions - please take a deep breath - and let it go - there you feel better don't you :)

Pitiful effort there, man...

https://bibba.com/bim-index-1-25/

There is a special area (Bee Improvement & Bee Breeding) which is dedicated to BIBBA.

Not in convulsions. Just highlighting that you do have your own sandpit

:blush5:

Oh my ! That was very lazy of me, I just assumed that because it was so old (over a decade) that it wouldn't be available online, sorry, and thanks.

Hadn't noticed the sandpit!
The Force strong in you is,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi5jjXTPtyY

What is Bibba or whatever it is called all about... and how could one benefit from whatever it is..

BIBBA Bee improvement and bee breeders association. It really is just dedicated to promoting AMM and ‘reducing’ imports.
S

BIBBA Bee improvement and bee breeders association. It really is just dedicated to promoting AMM and ‘reducing’ imports.
S

Are my lovely Essex mongrels "imports" then, as they are not AMM?

S

And been equally successful in both endeavours

Originally Posted by Stiffy View Post

S
And been equally successful in both endeavors:winner1st::iagree:

Teaching and educating beekeepers how to improve their stocks without the need for importation.
Even some of BIBBA's greatest dissenters and critics learnt their skills by attending one of the BIBBA Bee Breeding and Bee Improvement sessions.... only group who REGULARLY hold sessions for ALL beekeepers... lots of transferrable SKILLS even for those who wish to keep Carnioloan / Anatolian / Italian / Dutch / Danish / German or even hybrids etc etc etc.....

Nadelik Lowen

What I know about advanced bee breeders, they test all the time imported bee Queens, what foreign beekeepers have achieved.

And Finnish AMM, the breeders use strains from Norway and from Sweden.

Reducing imports.... What for...!

Teaching and educating beekeepers how to improve their stocks without the need for importation.
Even some of BIBBA's greatest dissenters and critics learnt their skills by attending one of the BIBBA Bee Breeding and Bee Improvement sessions.... only group who REGULARLY hold sessions for ALL beekeepers... lots of transferrable SKILLS even for those who wish to keep Carnioloan / Anatolian / Italian / Dutch / Danish / German or even hybrids etc etc etc.....

Sadly, that wasn't my experience. I did attend a course on morphometry though (so I can agree with the transferable skills point).
If BIBBA truly was a "Bee Breeding and Bee Improvement" group, with no issue on which race you kept, I doubt there'd be any issue. However, I found the attitude was very hostile to anyone who didn't keep Amm (or "near native").
If you want it to be a universal group, you have to silence the black bee acolytes

And been equally successful in both endeavours

Have you seen uk import figures ? 50yrs of BIBBA and i doubt theyve been higher since post IOW Disease restocking.
BIBBA, its like beekeeping, but for the far right.

Have you seen uk import figures ? 50yrs of BIBBA and i doubt theyve been higher since post IOW Disease restocking.
BIBBA, its like beekeeping, but for the far right.

I was attempting (dry) sarcasm.......

What I know about advanced bee breeders, they test all the time imported bee Queens, what foreign beekeepers have achieved.

And Finnish AMM, the breeders use strains from Norway and from Sweden.

Reducing imports.... What for...!

One of the guidelines is that about a third of the material tested by a breeder comes from other breeders. There is a very good reason for that and it has nothing to do with importation. You see, by testing lines produced by other breeders (no matter where they are located), you have something to compare your own stock against. This helps to ensure consistent scoring. Some groups have blind testing where you don't even know who bred the queens you are testing in a given year. You could get your own queens back as part of the test.

I agree with cheers. I went on a BIBBA workshop led by Roger P, and learned some valuable stuff about queen rearing and selection. There was very little in the way of promoting AMM and no bashing of other types of bee. The message was simple- it is easy to raise your own queens and to select for positive traits, therefore is there a Need to buy in queens? The answer was left entirely up to the individual.
Since then I have been successfully raising my own queens and am happy with my present stock

Latest posts

Back