BIAS acronym

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackbee

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
0-1-0-1-2
hopefully this wll be a short thread!

what does BIAS stand for, done a search but can't find defintion

B = brood?

but IAS

Is it Brood In All Stages perhaps ??

short thread:short answer

yes

Finally, a question I could have answered - and I was beaten to it by..... the OP answering it himself. mutter mutter...:p

I do it to look smart - it's the only way :eek:

was it to up your post count too?

Am I the only one that thinks some of these acronyms and abbreviations are a bit dangerous, particularly since the forum search engine will not search for terms of less than 4 letters?

How should a beginner find out what a QX or AS is? Is DWV or DLQ a good thing or a bad thing?

I am uncomfortable with Q+ and Q- used to indicate queenright and queenless - the difference between these two states is so fundamental (and often critical to the argument) that to be different by one stroke, and indeed typed by adjacent keys, is far too close for comfort in my opinion.

BIAS? My own view is that it is trying too hard to be an easy-to-remember abbreviation for another elemental concept. If you can't remember that you need to see brood in all stages, then you really are not going to get far in beekeeping.

Not trying to be a pedant, I just think some of these terms are important enough to spell them out in full :)

Last edited:
As a non-beek, to be fair, the acronyms have been fairly easy to figure out and, where I haven't been able to figure them out, asking has not resulted in me feeling too daft and nobody has made me feel stupid :) I find them a lot more explicit than the multiple ways of putting them into words.

Horses for courses - I work for the Civil Service! heh!

So much for it being a short thread!
:rolleyes:

Must admit first time I met it I thought bias against what? LOL

PH

beekeepers invariably argue semantics

How should a beginner find out what a QX or AS is? Is DWV or DLQ a good thing or a bad thing?
Bang on mate, when I started reading this forum I spent hours on Google, only the other day I had to Google HIWMBO or something like that, I do understand why they are used but a section on the forum should be set aside for an index
Thinking of starting one myself, perhaps POSGFA ;)

Last edited:
Am I the only one that thinks some of these acronyms and abbreviations are a bit dangerous, particularly since the forum search engine will not search for terms of less than 4 letters?

I am uncomfortable with Q+ and Q- used to indicate queenright and queenless - the difference between these two states is so fundamental (and often critical to the argument) that to be different by one stroke, and indeed typed by adjacent keys, is far too close for comfort in my opinion.

BIAS? My own view is that it is trying too hard to be an easy-to-remember abbreviation for another elemental concept. If you can't remember that you need to see brood in all stages, then you really are not going to get far in beekeeping.

Not trying to be a pedant, I just think some of these terms are important enough to spell them out in full :)

Short-hand, stenography, speed writing (all deadly accurate where they're used)

Makes life quicker, simpler and easier to communicate as abbreviations, like sign language are quickly learned.

Don't think I've seen a typo ref Q+ Q- use left hand to shift + Plus and no shift for - minus - reasonably developed brain will pick that up quickly.

Newbees are always pleased to discover how simply the acronyms are unravelled and feel pleased to recognise them in future communications.

This is good, because it makes Newbees feel included as if they have earned the right of passage.

The MOD has 3000+ (shift plus +) acronyms - no definitely keep acronyms :)

BTW where's the WDYDITAT thread?

:smilielol5::smilielol5:

Newbees are always pleased to discover how simply the acronyms are unravelled and feel pleased to recognise them in future communications.

This is good, because it makes Newbees feel included as if they have earned the right of passage.

I must be an odd "newbie" (or at least when I was new) as no I wasn't pleased to see how simply the acronyms were and it didn't make me feel included.

The reverse in fact I very nearly gave up reading in the first couple of days because the acronyms and the starring of links made me feel most unwelcome.

Latest posts

Back