Best time to buy equipment at bargain prices?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Father Fox

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I have been caught out this season. I naively left myself without the essential spare equipment to cope with the swarms, and was forced to pay top prices and to wait ages by the suppliers (who also seemed to have been caught out by not having sufficient stock levels).
In recent years, when have been the best times to buy. E.g. Th??rnes sale in autumn, or January. .? Having looked online, There seems to be a huge price difference at different times of year, and where you buy. Online, in shop, or special shop sale days when you have to collect from the shop and they refuse to post.

How to get the best prices?

Its bees, so its complicated in detail.

Firstly it depends on what you want.
For example, Bee Hive Supplies (makers of better, and more expensive, than average poly National and 14x12 kit) never seem to have a sale on their polyhives. But, it might be different if you dropped in and haggled for a while over any 'dusty' stock they might have.
You won't get sale prices on foundation - just quantity discounts, so get some pals together (or involve your association) and bulk-buy.
Thornes first quality frames and hives aren't normally discounted. But they routinely offer 'seconds' at sale time. We noted last year that face-to-face sales have marginally (not massively) cheaper prices than the New Year online sale, so if you are going to the National Honey Show, the Convention, or live near one of their shops, that's as cheap as it gets. But if you order £100+ in the online sale (very easily done) you get free delivery and don't use any petrol/diesel.
Sometimes Thornes have a few first quality hive parts (presumably ex-demo or somesuch) in their sales - but you can't predict what. Whereas you can be pretty confident of 50-packs of frame seconds being about the cost of 20 primes. This January there was only one (I think) extractor motor at half price. You'll find similar one-offs (similarly unpredictably) at their shop and exhibition sales.
Paynes sell complete polyhives at a slight discount in October, but you'll have to wait until January if you just need more supers and another roof, and sale discount really matters to you.
Jar manufacturers seem to often have specials at the exhibitions. But Association bulk-buying (and bulk delivery) is usually the best bet.
AgriNova sometimes have ex-demo extractors and customer trade-ins (against upgrades). If you were looking for something particular, it is well worth contacting the vendors and asking them to keep your name on file as looking for a deal.

Sorry, no simple answer. But then, its bees.

// And if you hear of any bargains, let us know!

useful info

Thanks for the insight itma,for a newbie like me info like this is really useful.:thanks:
john

yes, itma - a fantastic reply, thanks for the extremely useful advice

Likewise. A fab comprehensive response, thank you itma. Great advice.

Should have been clearer that Thorne's sales (and show offers) typically include second-quality flatpack cedar hive modules. These will have some knots in the timber, but at roughly £12 for a super are a great way of making sure that you have enough to cope with a bumper year. These boxes/roofs/floors/stands should be "good enough" for most people and satisfy the thrifty.

Ambrosia (commercial bee syrup) is another odd commodity.
Its cheaper if you buy it in an IBC (a pallet-tank) - way cheaper than buying a pallet-load of 12.5kg jerrycans.
Some associations and some bee-shops buy it by the IBC and in the Autumn you can (re)fill your own containers to get the best price. Means travel to the right place though.
Mention of commercial bee syrups tends to provoke controversy. They are more expensive than supermarket sugar. But, being inverted and low in water content (almost as low as honey) they can be fed later, and faster, than sugar syrup - prolonging your season. And they don't go off in storage from one year to the next. Good stuff but optional, not essential.

Just been on the Thornes website and they now have their preorder pages on for their autumn sales if anyone is interested.

Join an association, they will buy bulk and pass the savings on to you. If you are buying honey jars, work out the unit price, jar + VAT + postage = x and some suppliers will/won't include the lids.
If you are buying frames try Abelo's, I have used them for years at a fraction of the cost from the major suppliers and they are not seconds or thirds.

If you are buying frames try Abelo's, I have used them for years at a fraction of the cost from the major suppliers and they are not seconds or thirds.

Thanks for the heads up. Just had a look at their website. Much cheaper

When does Maisemore have their sale? anyone have a date confirmed?

Abelo frames are £48 in thornes sale they are £25 for the same amount. I know who I will be ordering mine from. Also gives me a chance to meet up with some other beeks if they are going to stockbridge.

Abelo frames are £48 in thornes sale they are £25 for the same amount. I know who I will be ordering mine from. Also gives me a chance to meet up with some other beeks if they are going to stockbridge.

See you there fella. I'll be collecting my £600 order, hope it all fits in the truck.

I'll buy the first cuppa. You bringing your good lady too?

See you there fella. I'll be collecting my £600 order, hope it all fits in the truck.

I'll buy the first cuppa. You bringing your good lady too?

sounds good to me. prob if I can fit her in the car!!!

Latest posts

Back