Best time to add Patties

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazyhorse

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Currently feeding my ladies fondant which they are hammering through at a kilo 10 days roughly.
But when should I consider changing to patties?
I thought early March? Last year I was lucky as I placed supers on just as the cold snap hit us!

Sorry loads of questions this year!

Never ever fed patties to bees, just little need for it . One will find there are plenty of pollen sources available in nature if one spends time watching the bees for 10 mins or so when they are active flying, hazel early and now willow coming in plus spring flowers etc,etc.

Currently feeding my ladies fondant which they are hammering through at a kilo 10 days roughly.
But when should I consider changing to patties?
I thought early March? Last year I was lucky as I placed supers on just as the cold snap hit us!

Sorry loads of questions this year!
Watch the bees on a sunny day - see if there's pollen going in. I don't know where in Kent you are, but it can't vary all that much and there's been plenty of white (probably hazel) pollen going in around here, and a smaller amount of orange (likely snowdrop or gorse).

Watch the bees on a sunny day - see if there's pollen going in. I don't know where in Kent you are, but it can't vary all that much and there's been plenty of white (probably hazel) pollen going in around here, and a smaller amount of orange (likely snowdrop or gorse).
Same as W0otz (not surprising as only a few miles apart) - girls are coming back with full pollen baskets, best advice is have a look at your bees on a busy day - are they bringing back pollen? If you can’t see any returning but loads of bees out foraging then may be worth considering adding some pollen source.

Rather than persevere until it's gone and learn his lesson
Rather than sell it on
Rather than donate it to the local association Environmental crime.
As I recall (and I may have mis-remembered) there was a quality issue with it. If I was in that situation, I would not want to pass on a problem to others. Would you?

As I recall (and I may have mis-remembered) there was a quality issue with it. If I was in that situation, I would not want to pass on a problem to others. Would you?
and if the whole thing is a waste of time and effort, why set out and encourage others to waste their time on the damn thing

Just checking we are talking about the same thing here……….Pollen sub is a biodegradable plant based product. We are not talking about spent fuel rods😂

It might have been one of these dangerous nuclear powered devices.

Attachments

• Image.jpeg
    Image.jpeg
    25.7 KB · Views: 0
If the story is actually true then that stuff,however holistic we kid ourselves into thinking it is,could have been given away easily to others (with a bit more patience perhaps)rather than selfishly buried in the ground for someone else to deal with.
Biodegradable doesn't mean it magically disappears once it's out of our conciences.
None of this stuff would be radioactive either..
2A29C62300000578-3148193-Dangerous_Children_in_the_Philippines_are_risking_their_lives_to-a-11...jpg

Latest posts

Back