best swarm lure

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louisboy

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
hi just wanted to ask what swarm lures worked best for u i have tride lemon grass oil with no succes so looking for new ideas not worthynot worthynot worthy

There are other factors involved in baiting swarms, than just the swarm lure (if any).

Most seem to agree that lemongrass oil is effective.

Combination of 3 manky old brood frames and some lemon grass, the manky old frames being more important than the lemon grass!

Also consider: (what works for me anyway)
box size - not too small - Std nat as min but 14x12 ideally
space in bait hive - only 3 frames, 1 central and 1 at each edge
fully enclosed (not an OMF for a bate hive)
Oldest solid floor I own (reserved for this use when I switched to OMF)
Pre-used brood box
Pre-used crown - in fact pre-used everything!
at least 0.5m off ground but higher if you can
Placed in full sun
normally orientate mine with entrance facing south

Have tried a pheromone lure as well but advantage over the above inconclusive

Last edited:
hi just wanted to ask what swarm lures worked best for u i have tride lemon grass oil with no succes so looking for new ideas not worthynot worthynot worthy

Little snippet of 'Bee boost'....attracts bees like a magnet.

Some dark comb helps too.

Failing all there is the old French trick that I have in a magazine somewhere in the office...should certainly be cheap......and they say it works just as well as anything else. 'Faire pisser dans le ruche.'

Seriously.....it really IS re commended.

Sounds as if you haven't tried that one?!

I wonder if there is a preference for age or gender.

I've tried lemon grass oil spotted onto the bars of old (acetic acid-fumigated) comb and it seems to attract more interest than the old comb alone (not sure though).

What is in Bee Boost?

i used a old home made hive witch i caught my first swarm in i thought it might still smell good to them with tow old brood combs and lemon grass oil i had 5 swarms fly wright over my garden but none of the swarms decided my hive as there home i did have a lot of scout activity

Little snippet of 'Bee boost'....attracts bees like a magnet.

Some dark comb helps too.

Failing all there is the old French trick that I have in a magazine somewhere in the office...should certainly be cheap......and they say it works just as well as anything else. 'Faire pisser dans le ruche.'

Seriously.....it really IS re commended.

That explains why French honey has that unique flavour, then...

Combination of 3 manky old brood frames and some lemon grass, the manky old frames being more important than the lemon grass!

Also consider: (what works for me anyway)
box size - not too small - Std nat as min but 14x12 ideally
space in bait hive - only 3 frames, 1 central and 1 at each edge
fully enclosed (not an OMF for a bate hive)
Oldest solid floor I own (reserved for this use when I switched to OMF)
Pre-used brood box
Pre-used crown - in fact pre-used everything!
at least 0.5m off ground but higher if you can
Placed in full sun
normally orientate mine with entrance facing south

Have tried a pheromone lure as well but advantage over the above inconclusive

My best 2 swarms have been collected in bait hives placed facing just east of south over the "silver load" line running parallel with Kit Hill here in the stunning South West Tamar Valley!

So maybe placing a silver coin beneath your hive will work for the superstitious!:confused:

Anybody tried dowsing?! ;)

Anybody tried dowsing?!

Yes, but not for bait hives.

Not got any certain proof either way, yet.

RAB

On bait hives - any idea whether they're better place in the apiary or just somewhere else nearby? Does it have to be closed floor or does OMF work as well? And has anyone had a problem with wax moths from leaving old brood comb?

they're better place in the apiary or ... nearby?

There will be some that will recount swarms arriving within the apiary. It will happen. Happened to me last year - and wasn't into a bait hive, either.

However, think a bit about what the outcome of colony reproduction should achieve - dispersion of the species and non-competition for resources are two sensible achievements. That does not lean towards in-apiary occupation.

or just somewhere else nearby?

No, it needs some thought and consideration; 'just' somewhere else may be entirely inappropriate. Most references I have seen are for about 200m distant, but less than a kilometre.

Does it have to be closed floor

No, but it is preferable if you wish to improve the strike rate. An upturned dustbin could be tried and might get occupied, but....

does OMF work as well?

No.

has anyone had a problem with wax moths from leaving old brood comb?

I daresay there are some. Personally, I don't leave them unattended that long, do not have a pandemic of wax moth around my sites and have never suffered with wax moth in a bait hive. If wax moth is a severe problem then spraying the frames with Certan, before putting them out, would perhaps be appropriate?

All fairly basic questions and I have outlined my reasoning. Now, do you have any that need some real discussion?:)

RAB

If wax moth is a severe problem then spraying the frames with Certan, before putting them out, would perhaps be appropriate?

Thanks, for some reason I thought Certan had been withdrawn but must've been getting mixed up with something else.

All fairly basic questions and I have outlined my reasoning. Now, do you have any that need some real discussion?:)

Well if you know of any good research or literature on location characteristics driving nest site selection by a.m.m. in European temperate zones I'd be interested... other than that I'm a fairly basic sort of chap.

Well if you know of any good research or literature on location characteristics driving nest site selection by a.m.m. in European temperate zones I'd be interested... other than that I'm a fairly basic sort of chap.

P.s. I have some articles by Thomas Seeley on it, but he focuses more on group decision making rather than optimum location characteristics in any of the ones I've read so far.

Latest posts

Back