Best QC type

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezd

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
ok, I wanted to try and nail this once for myself as I keep reading articles that seem to contradict the view that a converted worker cell is far from ideal as a QC.

I always assumed that in terms of best to worst scenario for QC's it going (1 being best) :-

1) Swarm Cell – by design are QC
2) Supercedure Cell – converted worker cell but very early on
3) Emergency Cell- converted worker cell and possibly very late

The reason for this was that swarm cells are by design queens from day one and therefore fed perfectly, supercedure cells would be next as these would be chosen as the best ones for conversion and finally emergency cells that could potentially be of poor quality using old larvae.

Ok, fine, but I have also read a number of books that say supercedure cells are the best but I fail to see how this can be given they are worker cell conversions.

Anyone with words of wisdom on this?

Cheers

Jez

Hello Jez ... I'm told thee best are placed in the middle of the frame and not at the edges .. it would be good if someone can advise the official opinion.

I can advise my thoughts only, I have no idea of any official position.

Swarm cells are created from queen cups. SO ARE supercedure cells.

Emergency cells are based on an existing larvae which may or may NOT be of the correct age.

Does this help?

PH

I can advise my thoughts only, I have no idea of any official position.

Swarm cells are created from queen cups. SO ARE supercedure cells.

Emergency cells are based on an existing larvae which may or may NOT be of the correct age.

Does this help?

PH

Yes a little, I thought supercedure cells got created from larvea too but I must have got that wrong. It would make sence that they are the preffered choice in that case.

Jez

From my encyclopaedia.

Sup queens are usually raised in primary cells which have the shape of queen cells from the start. "

what I said. :)

PH

Latest posts

Back