Best pollen patties?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alltddu

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Anyone have any ideas about which commercial patties (pollen substitutes) are best? Our bees have plenty of stores so don't need feeding but they are short of pollen. I've been browsing the main sellers and some of the products on offer seem to be really low on protein or don't even tell you what's in them! Some of these patties just seem to be mainly fondant! What do you think?

Anyone have any ideas about which commercial patties (pollen substitutes) are best? Our bees have plenty of stores so don't need feeding but they are short of pollen. I've been browsing the main sellers and some of the products on offer seem to be really low on protein or don't even tell you what's in them! Some of these patties just seem to be mainly fondant! What do you think?
How much pollen do you like to see in a hive at this time of year?

Randy Oliver has completed a scientific study and made a Youtube video of the results. Go take a look before you spend your hard earned wonga

Randy Oliver has completed a scientific study and made a Youtube video of the results. Go take a look before you spend your hard earned wonga
I can't get YouTube right now. Reception is dreadful. Can you summarise what it says? Thanks!!!

No, one is over 1hr 10 minutes long and I haven't looked on Randy's site but his is probably similar. There's no real rush right now.

No, one is over 1hr 10 minutes long and I haven't looked on Randy's site but his is probably similar. There's no real rush right now.
maybe something like 'most are just snakeoil and in most cases pollen supplements are a pointless waste of time' ?

maybe something like 'most are just snakeoil and in most cases pollen supplements are a pointless waste of time' ?
Ha! Sadly most Comrcl patties are variations of snake oil I'll agree but the science says, like most things, used correctly they are certainly not a disadvantage.

used correctly they are certainly not a disadvantage.
I use them only when the spring has winter temperatures. Otherwise if there is a pollen flow on they are useless, the bees will take the sugar from the patties and throw out the protein, this is what Randy Oliver identified.

I use them only when the spring has winter temperatures. Otherwise if there is a pollen flow on they are useless, the bees will take the sugar from the patties and throw out the protein, this is what Randy Oliver identified.
Patties are only substitutes hence when there is a pollen flow on the bee's prefer the real deal.

We have so far been avoiding the "fondant-with-a-bit-of-protein" types and just using the high protein ones. We find that we can very accurately correlate the brood areas with where the bees are eating the patties. This seems to indicate that they are using it. In fact it is a very good non-invasive way to estimate the size of the brood nest.
Our bees seem to do well on this system. We don't get any winter losses, except for the odd late supercedure. We averaged 135lbs per colony this year (plus leaving them enough for themselves, on nationals, just "local" bees) despite having a dreadful drought with everything stopping flowering - which meant lack of pollen as well as nectar late summer. That's why some of them are a bit low on pollen, I think. Even the ivy is a bit disappointing this year and we are not in a heather or balsam area either.
We think giving them patties is an "insurance" that allows the bees extra leeway to build up winter bees in better condition, if they need a bit extra, if you like.

When he did the study, ultrabee had changed their recipe, which wasn't as good and was darker, now it is back to the original recipe.

When he did the study, ultrabee had changed their recipe, which wasn't as good and was darker, now it is back to the original recipe.
Yes I think it was as a result of Randy's findings although, a homemade recipe I think comes out best which Randy provides the recipe.

I wish I'd looked at this before I went to visit my bee supplies man this afternoon - just spent £12 on two 1kg bags which I now see contain "93% sugar".
j

Latest posts

Back