Best hive for beginner?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've only just begun and have nationals ... however I have learnt how heavy they can be when loaded with honey/bees. So I am considering poly hives or a weight lifting course!

The weight lifting course would be a better option.
Poly boxes are only a fraction lighter than wood when they are "loaded". The weight is in the load, not the box itself.
There are however plenty of better reasons for going over to poly!

Nationals aren't "big" boxes - comparatively.
But there are hives that use smaller boxes. You could even use 3? national shallows ('supers') as a brood unit ... and "half supers" (taking half the number of frames and stacking 2 to a level) exist giving a lighter lump to shift ...

ITMA WROTE The weight lifting course would be a better option.
Poly boxes are only a fraction lighter than wood when they are "loaded". The weight is in the load, not the box itself.
There are however plenty of better reasons for going over to poly!

Nationals aren't "big" boxes - comparatively.
But there are hives that use smaller boxes. You could even use 3? national shallows ('supers') as a brood unit ... and "half supers" (taking half the number of frames and stacking 2 to a level) exist giving a lighter lump to shift ...

:thanks: That's given me something to think about.

I know a chap who has lots of eight frame national equipment, brood boxes, supers, floors, roofs, excluders, the lot!
He puts small swarms into them to build up but still gets a crop. Works well for him.

It's the weight of the comb and the honey that makes them heavy to lift but you don't have to use the whole box ... you can put a couple of dummy boards in either side of the frames (in both the brood and the supers if you wish) and fill the vacant spaces with some insulation material (which can only help the bees) and just use 7 or 8 frames in each box. As long as you keep an eye on the space they need and add boxes as needed there's no problem with this ... you are effectively creating a taller, thinner, lighter colony. (without going to non-standard equipment).

Just as long as you fill the space you don't want them to use otherwise they will fill it !!

My brother aims to start beekeeping next year so I have been thinking about what to advise a new beekeeper....

I think a lot depends on how you get your bees. Most nucs seem to be on National deep frames (14 x 8.5) so if you are starting out buying a nuc chances are you will need a National brood box.

As I mainly use 14 x 12 s my brother will have to follow suit if he wants a nuc off me.

An alternative is to buy a package of bees and then shake them into whatever you want, which is what I did when trying out a langstroth poly hive this year (all mediums). That has gone well and I think package bees are great as you are not tied to a particular hive type.

As for the "best" hive for a beginner - it depends!

I think package bees are great as you are not tied to a particular hive type.

Sorry to be off thread, but I just love (not!)the twisted irony involved when natural beekeeping wannabees buy an imported package to stock their newly bought top bar hive.

Sorry to be off thread, but I just love (not!)the twisted irony involved when natural beekeeping wannabees buy an imported package to stock their newly bought top bar hive.

Can't think thst any informed 'natural beekeeping wannabee' would do that ... one of the principles of those who follow the dark path towards enlightenment is local bees are best ....

My brother aims to start beekeeping next year so I have been thinking about what to advise a new beekeeper....

I think a lot depends on how you get your bees. Most nucs seem to be on National deep frames (14 x 8.5) so if you are starting out buying a nuc chances are you will need a National brood box.

As I mainly use 14 x 12 s my brother will have to follow suit if he wants a nuc off me.

An alternative is to buy a package of bees and then shake them into whatever you want, which is what I did when trying out a langstroth poly hive this year (all mediums). That has gone well and I think package bees are great as you are not tied to a particular hive type.

As for the "best" hive for a beginner - it depends!
How are you finding beekeeping in all langstroth mediums? I am thinking about moving to this hive type. I like the look of wiring my own frames too. Either this way or all national deeps

Its not too difficult to change frame depths within a "family".
The National shallow, deep and 14x12 ("jumbo" or extra deep) share the same topbar, and so, by stacking up boxes, you can change frame depths without too much trouble. Similarly, it is straightforward to do a Bailey comb change onto Commercial. Changing too and from Smith isn't too bad as the frames fit into a National box (albeit you need to watch their positioning!)

Similarly, "Langstroths" seem standardised on the frame topbar, but the 'standard' depths (and names for whatever depth) do vary quite a lot internationally. But changing frame size should be as 'easy' as with Nationals.

And changing National to and from Langstroth seems to be routinely achieved by means of a ply cover with an appropriate hole cut in it.

These things (and even a shook swarm) can all be done, but the beginner shouldn't aim to be different too quickly! Get self-sufficient with two colonies before you go striking out in your own individually-chosen direction.

How are you finding beekeeping in all langstroth mediums? I am thinking about moving to this hive type. I like the look of wiring my own frames too. Either this way or all national deeps

I've only had the "all mediums" poly hive since June 2013 so it's a bit early to comment, but so far I really like it and so do the bees as far as I can tell. I am not sure how it will go next May/June when checking for signs of swarming. So far it feels like a good move but I want to see how a full season goes.

and so do the bees as far as I can tell

I doubt you can tell the difference and the bees couldn't care less as long as they can continue to survive; they are very adaptable to their cavity size and shape and will either survive or die. The latter is not a desired option for any hive to be popular!

and so do the bees as far as I can tell

I doubt you can tell the difference and the bees couldn't care less as long as they can continue to survive; they are very adaptable to their cavity size and shape and will either survive or die. The latter is not a desired option for any hive to be popular!

I doubt you know anything about my ability to tell the difference and couldn't care less as long as you continue to survive :)

I'm certain I'll tell the difference. Theres been so many times this season i've said to myself ' if I just hst had all same size box and frames this could have been done so much easier'. I've found larger brood boxes a pain.

Back