Best bee suit

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hiya

I saw someone started a "Best Smoker" thread, but I couldn't see anything similar for bee suits. I'm at the stage where I'm almost ready to invest in one and I wondered if anyone had particular recommendations/ones to avoid at all costs? I'm happy to pay for quality, but it seems like there really is quite a wide spectrum of prices.

Thanks

I saw someone started a "Best Smoker" thread.
I think I might have been the guilty party there but I wouldn't have been the first to ask.

Regarding suits it's all going to be down to personal taste. I personally have a stone coloured fencing style deluxe suit from BBWear (other suppliers are available) but others will argue to case for their purchase. Some people prefer thinner suits to keep the heat off in summer whilst others like a thicker suit that will last a long time and offer slightly more protection. My only real advice is to not buy the cheapest as you'll soon have to replace it. As the saying goes, "Buy cheap, buy twice!".

Last edited:
Regarding suits it's all going to be down to personal taste. I personally have a stone coloured fencing style deluxe suit from BBWear (other suppliers are available) but others will argue to case for their purchase. Some people prefer thinner suits to keep the heat off in summer whilst others like a thicker suit that will last a long time and offer slightly more protection. My only real advice is to not buy the cheapest as you'll soon have to replace it. As the saying goes, "Buy cheap, buy twice!".

:iagree:

I on the other hand paid £20 for a jacket in the Thornes sale for my first year. Once I knew I wasnt giving up I bought a Sherriff full suit for £120 and since then another (as a spare). My £20 jacket is great for visitors

If you use "search" at the top of the page Im sure you will find a number of discussions on this. There is some people who recommend their favorite suit but the normal consensus is Sheriff or BBwear good quality and worth the money and as said above " Buy cheap buy twice " I found this out to my cost.

I had a jacket initially but then became allergic so I invested in a Sherriff made to measure all in one suit with fencing style hood. Really happy with it.

If you're a member of the BBKA some suppliers will give quite a good discount off the list price. It's also a good idea to join the BBKA anyway, you get to pick the brains of local beeks at apiary meetings etc.

:welcome: Tim.

PS. Sorry I've just spotted the other thread where you say you are a member already.

Last edited:
BB are happy to extend their discount scheme to any Association that asks (nicely).

Don't rush into buying anything just to have something.
Its important that its a good loose fit. And worth noting that BB offer made to measure for just £10 (less discount) extra on suits (£5 separates).
You'll see a lot of beekeepers with suits that are either way too long (because they needed the width) or way too wide (because they needed the height).

Being a mean (exiled ) Scot, I bought a sub £40 camo tunic plus veil when I started in 2010. I still have it - and still use it as my only suit.. I am , however, capable of sewing so it has had new elastic round the cuffs..

(BUT I also am totally intolerant of nasty bees so it has not had to withstand a howling mass- I have a bee proof overall I wear underneath for such dire straits)

If you're a member of the BBKA some suppliers will give quite a good discount off the list price. It's also a good idea to join the BBKA anyway, you get to pick the brains of local beeks at apiary meetings etc.

:welcome: Tim.

PS. Sorry I've just spotted the other thread where you say you are a member already.

yes the discount are between 20-25% depending on scheme from both the major suppliers , most are for BBKA members or BKA beginners on approved courses but county BKAs should have the discounts codes or phone the suppliers up and say you are a beginner and a member of the BBKA , though i know one requires confirmation of membership of the BBKA

Latest posts

Back