Behaviour advice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Itchy

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Lost count and can't keep up
I have been to two properties today, within 500m of each other. Each property called me out for wasps.
Property 1 had bees going in and out of a hole in the ancient timbers, but many more flying in jabbing movements within a 2m spread of the hole. They seem to be investigating every hole available.
Property 2 bees going into air brick, but also moving in a "jabbing fashion" approx 2 m around the air brick.

Are all these bees just investigating potential homes?

Never seen this before. Any pointers?

I have been to two properties today, within 500m of each other. Each property called me out for wasps.
Property 1 had bees going in and out of a hole in the ancient timbers, but many more flying in jabbing movements within a 2m spread of the hole. They seem to be investigating every hole available.
Property 2 bees going into air brick, but also moving in a "jabbing fashion" approx 2 m around the air brick.

Are all these bees just investigating potential homes?

Never seen this before. Any pointers?

Hi Itchy,

Have you checked that the owners haven't blocked in a couple of feral colonies or had colonies treated recently?

There has been no filling of holes or treatments, I am 100% certain of that.

Absolutely definitely honey bees. Remember I said the two properties were very close together ( in 100's metres) well this morning, I went to check on one, and. A swarm was circling above the property, it then moved on to the apple tree next door (massive swarm straight into a national box) My assumption is that these were scouts checking out the two properties. Comments please?

Latest posts

Back