Beginning to wonder now...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:sorry: No offence meant but.

Do you wear aftershave, or it could be the washing powder in use that they don't like the smell of. Were you wearing black clothing?

I was wondering the same thing. My son gets bothered by bees but he will use aftershave despite being advised not to.
I suggested he use Api-fuge or Bee-quick but he wasn't amused.

Yes ... I think this may be another beekeeping myth - my usual beekeeping apparel is black jeans and just a beekeeping jacket .. if I get stung it's inevitably on the hands. I never see any bees on my trousers. It's like the red rag to a bull myth ...

Have to disagree with you there. People on black look a lot like a bear - just about the only predator of bees, barring humans.

Last season, I was having this discussion with a couple of novice beeks at the association apiary, as we were finishing inspecting and clearing up. As we walked away, one of the novices removed her hood. Got zapped immediately. No one else did. You guessed it: black hair!

Dusty

Have to disagree with you there. People on black look a lot like a bear - just about the only predator of bees, barring humans.

Last season, I was having this discussion with a couple of novice beeks at the association apiary, as we were finishing inspecting and clearing up. As we walked away, one of the novices removed her hood. Got zapped immediately. No one else did. You guessed it: black hair!

Dusty

I'd agree with black hair.or fur.. our yellow lab gets no problem wth my bees and they are both in the garden most of the time - but a friend of mine brought his black lab round and the bees were buzzing all around it .. fortunately didn't sting but they clearly didn't like it.

Black clothing, I've never had a problem ... Unless it was a furry black jumper ? Not so sure then ...

But ... never say never ...not with bees anyway !

Last edited:
I'd agree with black hair.or fur.. our yellow lab gets no problem wth my bees and they are both in the garden most of the time - but a friend of mine brought his black lab round and the bees were buzzing all around it .. fortunately didn't sting but they clearly didn't like it.

Black clothing, I've never had a problem ... Unless it was a furry black jumper ? Not so sure then ...

But ... never say never ...not with bees anyway !

Our black dog is the one who collects stings, or bees at least, as well. As a working cocker she is always trying to get involved though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes ... I think this may be another beekeeping myth - my usual beekeeping apparel is black jeans and just a beekeeping jacket

Yes I think it must be a myth...those old monks also tended to wear all black costumes and never had any problems with the bees.

Same as you I always wear black jeans and usually a dark shirt... sometimes black (no beekeeping jacket) never been any problem yet.

I wear black jeans in the garden and Association Apiary.. Bees tend to ignore them.

The OP asked" How close should I be able to stand to a hive on a sunny day with active bees without getting attacked?"

I would expect - and do stand beside and behind the hive - touching it -with no protection . I can walk in front of my hives and cut the grass in front/rear/sides with no protection.

In seven years of keeping bees at home, my wife has been stung once - not by a honey bee but a tree bumble.

Beekeepers in the UK tolerate appalling behaviour. In Germany, you can see children playing beside hives - with no protection.. Which is how it should be here.

Try a black marigold on one hand and a yellow on the other when opening up your most defensive colony.

Heat sources is what they aim for and black on a sunny day does warm parts of the body if they are a tight fit. Monks clothing is loosely fitted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heat sources is what they aim for and black on a sunny day does warm parts of the body if they are a tight fit. Monks clothing is loosely fitted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As if I didn't have enough habits I now have to wear one! :)

I was talking to a colleague last year who has a rural church, a farmer keeps bees in a field next to the churchyard. They have no problems at all except during funerals.

People tend to wear black at funerals. So maybe it's just a coincidence, or maybe not.

I was talking to a colleague last year who has a rural church, a farmer keeps bees in a field next to the churchyard. They have no problems at all except during funerals.

People tend to wear black at funerals. So maybe it's just a coincidence, or maybe not.

I'd be inclined to think there will be a variety of perfumes amongst the mourners. Who can say?

We keep three hive in our small garden and have no issues. The "quarantine" period is only within 20-30 minutes after the inspections when bees are agitated. Otherwise gentle lifting roof or checking varroa tray would not provoke any bees to attack.
Should you have aggressive one this maybe caused by either missing or poorly queen, problem with dieses or bad weather. If non of this, than its in the DNA I'd say and would recommend replacing the queen which you should source from known calm colony.

Black and White

Here in the Middle East our ladies wear black habayas and men a white kandora.

I never heard that women are stung more than men.

Moreover our perfumes (due to the lack of alcohol in them) tend to be very heavy on musk and oils.

Women and Men of our office and factory pass in front of the hive daily and the bees just ignore them.

I put on top of the hive a plate with gravel which I fill daily with water. I add daily a drop of eucalyptus essential oil on it so its a nice eucalyptus forest smell around the hive. Dont know if it helps but so far its not doing any harm and bees mind their business and leave us alone. :)

We keep three hive in our small garden and have no issues. The "quarantine" period is only within 20-30 minutes after the inspections when bees are agitated. Otherwise gentle lifting roof or checking varroa tray would not provoke any bees to attack.
Should you have aggressive one this maybe caused by either missing or poorly queen, problem with dieses or bad weather. If non of this, than its in the DNA I'd say and would recommend replacing the queen which you should source from known calm colony.

I don't feel I have a generally aggressive colony, it's just the odd bee who makes, er, a beeline for me. C'est la vie, they don't do it twice.

Back