Beginner's Course

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

JazzJPH

Hi everyone,

Today was the first of a two day beginners course for my wife and me. As it's cold we didn't handle any bees. They said it's doubtful we will tomorrow either.
We started by watching a video, then there was a slideshow and a lot of digression. In the afternoon we assembled frames.
I think my wife found it a little bit more interesting than me, but so far I've not learned much.

Hopefully tomorrow will be better. I'll be gutted if I don't get to see any bees. Not the association's fault as it's down to weather and what's best for the bees.

Still, tomorrow could turn it all around!:nature-smiley-011:

Patience is a virtue for the beekeeper. And realising that things don't always go to plan.

This is part of the learning experience.

Yeah that's going to be the big lesson I learn when I get my hands on my own bees. Today though, I didn't learn anything new unfortunately.

Hi everyone,

Today was the first of a two day beginners course for my wife and me. As it's cold we didn't handle any bees. They said it's doubtful we will tomorrow either.
We started by watching a video, then there was a slideshow and a lot of digression. In the afternoon we assembled frames.
I think my wife found it a little bit more interesting than me, but so far I've not learned much.

Hopefully tomorrow will be better. I'll be gutted if I don't get to see any bees. Not the association's fault as it's down to weather and what's best for the bees.

Still, tomorrow could turn it all around!:nature-smiley-011:

Considering the complexity of the subject and the absorption rate of the average adult human, i have little time for these short courses.
We give students one night a week over six weeks, breaking it down into convenient chunks of theory. After that they get to handle bees under close supervision. This fits pretty well as the theory learning takes place during the cold, dark early months when the bees are staying indoors. The practical follows as the colonies expand, foraging gets underway and it’s warm enough to permit hives to be open while the first contact with bees in large numbers occurs.
Beekeeping isn’t rocket science - it's far more complicated :)

Yeah that's going to be the big lesson I learn when I get my hands on my own bees. Today though, I didn't learn anything new unfortunately.

It sounds to me more like what most assocciations would term a 'taster'. I've not been to one of these but I know people who, unwittingly, thought that they would learn enough to keep bees from such events .. in some cases these 'beginners courses' are 'taught' privately and the course fees have been a lot of money.

I rather think that, even in 2 days, it is impossible to get even more than a few ideas about what is involved ... They may have a place to give people who would like to keep bees, but have little idea about beekeeping, a heads up for what is required in the way of knowledge.

Billed as a '2 days Beginners course' I would suggest that it is a little disingenuous and at worst possibly contravenes the Trades Descriptions Act if they were publicly advertised.

I think I would have asked to see the syllabus before signing up. Caveat emptor.

Jazz..after a few years of interest and reading I decided to take the plunge..the timing and location was perfect to get my first colony which was a baptism of fire..I could not have started with bees any more aggressive and defensive..i soldiered on regardless with the mental bees until a good forum member stepped in and gifted me a nuc with gentle bees..I have never looked back since..although I still have the odd defensive F2 colony they are no where near as bad as what i started with..i learn some thing new every week of every year and every year is different..no coarse could ever learn me what knowledge i have picked up and mistakes i have made over the past few years..hands on experience and this forum give me all i need to know for now and into the future..
Once you finally get your own bees that is when the proper learning begins..well it did for me..;)

I’ve learned more from reading anything and everything I can get my hands on, from conservative commercial production theory to (as some one put it here) tofu knitting soap avoiding sandal wearers like Phil Chandler and Tim Rowe (top bar and rose osb). I’ve watched tons of YouTube videos as well. The class will get you started, but I learned very little compared with other resources - usually books and the internet. Lastly, your local association and a good mentor and real bees will teach you even more after being prepped by your research.

Hi guys, thanks for all your replies. I think I will join a different association to the one that took the course. Today was no better - there was actually nothing I could take from it that wasn't covered in the book I've read, the forum, or YouTube videos I have watched.

The whole thing was disjointed, inconsistent and poorly presented, but at least now I know and I won't be wondering what the beginner's course is like.

I think I'm at the point where I just need some bees and will follow Millet's approach - hopefully with less angry bees :D

Hi guys, thanks for all your replies. I think I will join a different association to the one that took the course. Today was no better - there was actually nothing I could take from it that wasn't covered in the book I've read, the forum, or YouTube videos I have watched.

The whole thing was disjointed, inconsistent and poorly presented, but at least now I know and I won't be wondering what the beginner's course is like.

I think I'm at the point where I just need some bees and will follow Millet's approach - hopefully with less angry bees :D

Hi Jazz, a lot of these courses are aimed at people with zero knowledge to start with, so if you have done any reading/self study they can be a bit pedestrian.

Another perspective.

The evening class I teach is 16 hours and that is barely scratching the surface.

PH

I rather think that, even in 2 days, it is impossible to get even more than a few ideas about what is involved .

I agree, the bee farmers course to learn about beekeeping is three years full time.

My local assoc has Thursday mornings in season for practical experience.... You gain alot more being hands on a few hours weekly

I'm in my fourth year and I didn't attend a course. Youtube videos and the Haynes bee manual got me this far.

I've had no over-winter losses and I've harvested honey each year, so it can be done

My local assoc has Thursday mornings in season for practical experience.... You gain alot more being hands on a few hours weekly

Ours is Saturday mornings..
Those who attend, usually come for 1-3 years by which time they are usually competent.

Those who will not ( or cannot) come sometimes get a mentor - often from the same group of beekeepers who help run practical course...

It depends on what you want to achieve from beekeeping: one to two hives are relatively easy: 4 or more requires some expertise to be successful. If your aim is just "to save the bees" survival through winter is success.. If you want honey in any volume - regularly- expertise in some form is a must. Ditto if you want to raise your own queens.

Unfortunately. regular teaching sessions require volunteers..and life intervenes at times..

Rather depends on how its sold really, say for example 2 day taster. A couple of mornings with a bit of theory and then afternoons opening up some hives with a few frames being past around would not be a bad thing. That would at least give an idea whats involved and ensure that they can at least stand by an open hive!! Also depends on expectations of those on the course and being realistic what can be done in such a short period

Rather depends on how its sold really, say for example 2 day taster. A couple of mornings with a bit of theory and then afternoons opening up some hives with a few frames being past around would not be a bad thing. That would at least give an idea whats involved and ensure that they can at least stand by an open hive!! Also depends on expectations of those on the course and being realistic what can be done in such a short period

Yeah well to be fair they planned on taking us to the apiary but the weather didn't allow it. I do think if the weather was better we would have had a look at the hive(s), which would have changed everything for me.

Was sold as a beginners course.

£50 each or £75 per couple.
Gained us "friends" membership to association for a year.

It's a money maker I suppose. My Association gives free theory and practical training on becoming a full, paid up member for 32.00 ish. Plus first year accommodation in the training apiary and a healthy colony of bees if required for 100.00 You buy your own hive hardware. I usually point them to Abelo who are our closest supplier 🙂

Latest posts

Back