Beginner woes and triumphs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seen so many things I don't really understand despite doing a 20-hour course, being on this forum, doing two apiary days and reading at least three books.
I know a gentleman who has kept bees for 70 years and sometimes they still baffle him.

I have arranged for an experienced beekeeper to go through my hives with me next weekend as I have seen so many things I don't really understand despite doing a 20-hour course, being on this forum, doing two apiary days and reading at least three books. I suppose it doesn't help, in some ways, thatone of my colonies is really, really big with at least six frames covered in bees and once opened, more bees spill out on to the tops and down the sides of the frames. Fortunately this particular hive is relatively docile but with so many bees it is difficult to see anything properly and really could do with a trained eye. The other hive is much less populated (in fact I've had to feed them today as they are short on stores) but they are too feisty to mess about with much.

Anyway, we'll see what my beeman says when he comes round. Will keep you informed.

I'd consider a colony only becomes "big" with every frame of a full size brood box stuffed with bees. Really really big would begin with 14 x 12 or double brood having bees on all frames. As a new beek it's daunting but as you get more used to handling bees the level of "daunt" recedes. Twenty hours on a course and two taster sessions isn't really enough for a new starter to be launched into flying solo. It's one of the reasons our association training includes a series of weekly winter theory sessions then from May to August weekly inspections/supervised practical training in the association teaching apiary. Even then any new beek under my wing knows I'm on the end of the phone and I'm happy to visit them to reassure/help if they need it.
Also, in connection with your difficult hive, hungry bees can be very defensive of their stores. (wouldn't any creature)
It'll be interesting to hear what your experienced beek says.

Ok, I have had my experienced beekeeper come in and go through my hives with me. It would seem I did definitely destroy an active queen cell but they have made another one. The queen is laying well with new eggs all over the place but she seemed to be being ignored by the worker bees and having to push through them instead of them getting out of the way. It would appear that for some reason the workers are not happy with the queen and have made just the one new cell. Anyway, under advice I have moved the queen to a nuc box with a couple of frames of brood and done an artificial swarm, so now I have three colonies. Now I have to wait to see if the new queen comes through her early days unscathed.

Both hives are thriving with many bees and surprisingly the second hive, which I have been feeding in the latest bad weather, has become much more docile, much more prolific and certainly doesn't need feeding anymore.

Having an experienced beek help me go through the frames has helped my confidence and knowledge considerably and he is coming back next week to see how the new queen and the old one in the nuc are doing.

My second hive has been grumpy but the improved temperatures have done wonders for their mood.

From my original woes, my triumphs are catching up.

Oh, and one other thing which was really cute. I was standing there holding a busy frame of honey bees when a bumble bee landed on my left hand and had a bit of a rest. So sweet, I love bumble bees.

Last edited:
Ok, I have had my experienced beekeeper come in and go through my hives with me....

... From my original woes, my triumphs are catching up.

That sounds like a good plan - you still have laying queen if your 'new' queen doesn't come good, you can combine them back together or keep three colonies going .. lots of options.

It's surprising how confidence grows when you have someone who can help, advise and just demonstrate - we all make mistakes at times and nothing is usually a complete disaster as long as you have a couple of colonies virtually any queen situation can be rectified.

Well done ... there'll be more OMG events but at least you have got past this one largely unscathed.

Back